Tuesday, September 30, 2008

a few baseball notes

1.) Did you watch the White Sox-Twins tie breaker game just now? If you didn't, you should have. Talk about two pitchers stepping it up when it counted. Anyway, the Twins only had one real chance to score in the whole game. They had a guy on third, one out, and the batter hit a shallow fly to center. They sent the runner from third, betting Griffey was too old to throw him out, but Junior proved them wrong. Of course, what was key was that the White Sox catcher Pierzynski did a stellar job blocking the plate. When I remarked on that, my dad said, "Well, yeah, he's a Polock." I was like, what? our people make good catchers? I dunno. Sometimes around here it's like living in the Land of Nonsequitors.

2.) So now is the first time in 102 years that both Chicago teams will be in the postseason. Isn't that cool? The city of Chicago must be crazy right now.

3.) But, speaking of that, I'm having a dilemma. I don't know whom to root for in the Cubs-Dodgers series. On the one hand, I'm kind of committed to rooting for the Dodgers, i.e. Red Sox West in Exile. On the other, as I've mentioned before, I always root for the Cubbies, especially after 2004, when the morning after the Red Sox won that first World Series, my inbox was stuffed with emails from every single person I internet-knew from the Chicago area, at least nominal Cubs fans all, congratulating me and telling me how happy they knew I must be, having baseball-suffered their whole lives as I, and all Red Sox fans, had baseball-suffered our whole lives to that point. So, y'know, I really want to see the Cubs win a World Series; their fans deserve one. What to do, what to do.

xoxo

1 comment:

Uncle said...

My worst nightmare is a Cubs-Red Sox World Series.

Besides a cultivated tendency to root for the underdog, I actually knew a man who, in his youth, played very briefly for the Cubs.

Waddayagonnado??