Thursday, September 4, 2008

one more thing

...about color, this time.

So I mentioned the aqua blue with brown? Any kind of light blue, teal blue, mint green, or pink with brown is very on trend right now, in clothing and in home decor. I didn't buy that chair or those sheers because it's fashionable. I bought them because it's a very pretty color combination and I like it. But I am well aware that because it is trendy, eventually it's going to look dated. I'm certainly not going to sniff at the chair in 5 years and go, "Oh, yeah, so 2008, must be replaced." Unless I fall into buckets o' money somehow. But I am aware that ten or fifteen years from now, people will sniff at the light blue/brown combo and go, "So dated! Ugly! Must go!" which is, in my opinion, very ridiculous. Because it's intrinsically pretty. It's not the equivalent of an avocado green refrigerator.

On the other hand, I see oh so many people on Rate My Space (for example) suggesting that other people paint their walls sage green. Or gray. The sage green must be a trendy thing, because I can't see any other upside to it. I'm a fan of green in general, but sage? The worst of all possible greens. (I just offended at least one of yous, right? I'm so sorry. Just remember the soccer moms won't even steal my packages and be comforted that you're right and I'm wrong.)

And gray? When baby D was baby D, we had a kitchen with gray walls. I picked that primarily because I wanted to put those big retro black and white checkerboard tiles on the floor. The floor never came to be because it's hard to renovate an apartment when you have a baby (and a husband with a coke problem) but I lived with those walls for several years and it wasn't good. And then after that, my old office/exam room in work had bluish-gray counters and trim, which was not my doing. I used to have nurses who came down from the ER or the SCN laughing at me. "Dude! How can you tell if someone's cyanotic in here? This color makes everyone look like you need to call a code." So, yeah, my advice is, if you want to paint your walls a trendy gray, just remember you, your family, and your guests are all going to look like hell standing or sitting next to them. Learn from my experience!

Sage green or gray walls do = avocado refrigerator. Srsly.

xoxo

No comments: