Sunday, September 7, 2008

news, views, and capsule reviews

News first? Andrea 1, Target Corp 0.

Actually, I have no idea why I think *I* won. They made me go all over the North Shore, visiting stores of theirs I rarely if ever go in, just for the privilege of giving them my money. However, I was successful in finding the correct match to my lonely sheer, so woo hoo. I suppose this will assuage my bitterness that certain friends of mine who are in new relationships and thus spending all their time smooching did not spontaneously offer, as they ordinarily would have, to go to the Target in Watertown, or perhaps Everett, for me. But who am *I* to suggest that smooching should take a backseat to my window covering needs, ahahaha? That'd be silly.

Now onto the capsule reviews! These are the movies I have recently rented. First of all, I'm Not There. I thought, and had had it suggested to me, that I probably wouldn't like this film because I'm not a Dylan fan. (I know, I know, gasp. Both Mr Indemnity and M2 have shaken their heads sadly at me over this on multiple occasions.) But anyway, my dislike for this movie had nothing to do with Dylan fandom or lack thereof. I didn't get it, and the way in which I didn't get it felt much the same to me as the way I don't get certain literary fiction. Namely that they (by which I mean the creators) would like me to feel like I don't get it because I am too stupid, too obtuse, or too lowbrow, when in fact I don't get it because there's nothing to get and it's pointlessly artsy for the sake of being artsy.

Secondly, Margot at the Wedding, or whatever that Nicole Kidman movie is called. This really was like much literary fiction, in that it had no real plot to speak of. Instead, it was the character study of a really unpleasant person. Despite that, and despite the fact it got mixed and lukewarm reviews, I kind of enjoyed it. Maybe my enjoyment stemmed from the fact that I spent the first fifteen minutes of the movie thinking Nicole Kidman's son was a girl or that there was a totally gratuitous scene of Nicole masturbating. Or maybe it was Jack Black's ironic moustache. I dunno. But I didn't find it a complete waste of 97 minutes of my life.

Thirdly! Soylent Green. As you know, if you've been paying attention and taking notes (as well you should be), sometimes when I run out of HBO series and new movies to Netflix, I rent classic movies that I haven't seen or am not sure whether I've seen or have only seen severely edited on network TV. I'm not sure which category Soylent Green falls into (for reasons that will become clear as I go on). I was kind of convinced that I'd seen every cheesy Charleton Heston movie ever made on TV when I was a kid, especially the science fiction ones, (but Omega Man put a lie to that), and I certainly, certainly knew what the famous tagline to this movie was and thus the crux of the plot. But I started watching it and now I really don't know. I will say, cheesiness aside, this is (so far, because I haven't finished it) really quite a good movie. It was made in 1972 and takes place in 2022, so it's interesting, as all near-future scifi is when the actual date arrives or comes closer, to see how very wrong, or right, the projected future turns out to be.

One thing I thought was fascinating is that the dystopia depicted is said to be caused by global warming and the greenhouse effect. I had no idea anyone knew about that circa 1972; I don't remember hearing anything about it until the early 80s, when all that hairspray I was using to get my hair to look like that was being blamed for the hole in the ozone layer. And of course, the two things no one ever predicted in these books or movies are the cell phone and the flat screen. We first meet Shirl, the female lead, playing an Asteroids-level video game on a contraption the size of an arcade game, which is just hilarious from our 2008 perspective, of course.

But more about Shirl. This is why I am both convinced I had to have seen this movie at some impressionable age and yet sure that it makes no sense that I saw it on TV. Shirl is, by profession, a concubine. She is, in the terminology of her world, "furniture." She comes with the luxury apartment, like the refrigerator or the carpeting. Charleton Heston, who is a cop, meets her while investigating the murder of her employer. His first act is to inspect her arms and then look down the back of her dress, checking for bruises, to see if she has any obvious reason to be holding grudges against the dead man. When he comes back to question her a second time, he finds her partying with her girlfriends, who are all in the same line of work. He takes her into the bedroom, supposedly for privacy, and orders her right into bed, where the "questioning" explicitly takes the form you might expect. Shirl is not upset by this. [In fact, when he tries to leave before dawn, she entices him to stay with promises of breakfast (real food! a luxury!) and a shower with actual hot water (also an unimaginable luxury!)]

Okay, you can probably guess why I think I had to have seen this at some point when it was able to worm its way into my impressionable little brain and libido. On the other hand? If this movie was on the television in 1974 or 76, I can't imagine it wouldn't have been edited such that a lot of what was going on would have gone over my pubertal head. Or maybe it wouldn't have. I guess barring regression hypnosis, I'll never know, will I?

Okay, I think that's that.

xoxo

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still think your lack of Dylan knowledge directly resulted in your lack of appreciation for I'm Not There. It's full of references to songs, song lyrics, events, mythology, film and interview footage, and characterizations (Cate Blanchett's performance is spot-on in her depiction of Dylan as seen in D.A. Pennebaker's 1966 Eat the Document footage) that probably wouldn't even be seen as references to those not long steeped in Dylanology.

I really liked Hayne's decision to use the six different actors to depict some of the different personas/masks that Dylan has put on over the years--though I thought Richard Gere's segments were pretty much superfluous, even if Hayne's was working on Dylan's 1970's (and beyond) Old West Recluse personna.

One could question whether or not a movie should be able to stand entirely on its own without external references, or if a film is always full of references to both other films and classic film structure, as well as the culture in which the film is produced.

I'd tend to go for the latter, usually. No film really exists in a vacuum, except for some of those truly arty non-narrative "experimental" films and, truth-be-told, those really exist in opposition to standard narrative filmmaking, hence they're still really a big reference to commercial cinema in what they don't do.

But in the case of I'm Not There I think you'd miss a huge amount if you don't get most of the references, and it really wouldn't be nearly as interesting or as much fun. I'd be happy to give you an annotated screening... but you'd probably strangle me if I tried!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure Soylent Green was all over the UHF tubes back in the '70s, although not having cable (or decent UHF reception) then, I don't think I've ever seen even a bowdlerized version all the way through.

I do wonder if it would ever be possible to recover whatever version you could have seen on TV: I believe most of the movies sent out in syndication in this period were 16mm prints pre-edited by the distributor for time, content, and insertion of commercials.

I still remember running 16mm TV prints at The Brattle where we had to go through and take out the white leader commercial "slugs" so that the film could be seen straight through by a theatrical audience.

And just because the distributor pre-inserted commercial breaks it didn't mean the local station didn't chop out even more movie footage to insert even more commercials at inopportune (but financially lucrative) moments.

With the complete disintegration of non-theatrical film distribution--and I believe all syndicated films are now distributed on video tape--it's likely that all those 16mm pre-cut TV Soylent Greens were long destroyed. So even a serious researcher has little hope of discovering the distributor's separate creation of any of those syndicated movies and how that alternate version might have affected the film's impression in the TV audience, and the audience of future filmmakers (Martin Scorsese's editor Thelma Schoonmaker tells a great story about her first editing job chopping to bits great foreign films in order to fit them in 90 or 120 minute post-midnight slots for NYC broadcasts).

Probably the only way to recover the reality of "your" Soylent Green would be to find someone who still has a moldy VHS tape that they recorded off a live broadcast... and even then, if taped outside the Boston area, it doesn't mean the broadcasts you might have seen would have matched the version on that tape, especially a decade later.

Anonymous said...

BTW, you are far too subtle in your shopping requests... especially when there are other ongoing stimuli to distract my already all-too-easily distracted attention. ;-)

malevolent andrea said...

Oh, sure, go ahead, out yourself as the person who's spending all their time smooching. :-)

And as for Soylent Green, I'm still betting on hypnotic regression being my best bet, all your technical mumbo jumbo notwithstanding.

(We'll leave the Dylan stuff alone. There's absolutely no way I'm going to argue the merits of that movie with anyone, especially someone who writes the word "Dylanology" without breaking into hysterical laughter. Now go make out with the beauteous Ms J and/or self-flagellate over your failure to volunteer to go to Watertown for me. Or something.

:-PPPPP)

Anonymous said...

Hey, Google "Dylanology" and you get 7,310 hits.

I think I have a good handle on the pulse of pseudo-intellectual culture.

Besides, you and J can get together and mock my deep study of Dylan, as J's opinion seems all too similar to yours. :-P

Meanwhile, M2 and I will head off into the sunset...

(And my self-flagellation's always been purely metaphorical. Kind of like self-abuse... ;-) )

Anonymous said...

Just cause I can't leave my movie geekery alone...

For some period of time the only major ancillary income for most films outside of theatrical release was broadcast television, so it was not uncommon for films to shoot alternate cleaned-up scenes for use in the TV (and airline) versions.

Fast Times at Ridgemont High had, I believe, three separate versions: the US theatrical release, a (dirtier) International theatrical release, and a US cable version... and I believe each of those versions has whole scenes, not just shots, that aren't in the other versions (making a definitive version of the film, edited for MPAA theatrical rating approval, more than a little undeterminable).

That's still done today in some cases: both The Sopranos and Sex and the City had alternate scenes shot (for language, violence, and nudity) for both foreign markets and US basic cable syndication.

So it's possible that the same was done with Soylent Green, shooting an alternate of the "interrogation" scene for broadcast TV, which your hormone flooded teenage mind saw and just filled in the subconscious sexual blanks... perhaps making it even more effective as a result.