Saturday, September 27, 2008

changing tastes

I really have more I want to write about this and some other things, but since I only have a brief window of opportunity here, I'm just going to do a quickie before the urge is out of my head.

I was just searching for something on art.com, something I have bookmarked on my laptop at home but now can't find without the bookmark goddammit, and in my search came across the (totally unrelated) "Persistence of Memory" by Dali. This, for years, was my favorite painting. Absolutely. In college I even had a poster of it. It gave me that same kind of unsettled feeling that I enjoy in photographs of gates and doorways, fiction I read and fiction I (used to) write, certain of my favorite movies, and my sex life.

Looking at it just now, I realized that while it still is kind of a cool painting (and it *is* an acknowledged masterpiece, right?, or have "they" changed that?), I wouldn't want a print of it now. There is nothing about it that would compel me to put it on any of my walls. And I sort of wonder about that. I can still appreciate it. It still evokes that similar kind of emotional response in me. But it's lost something. Or I've lost something.

Talk to me about this. Tastes that have changed for you and tastes that haven't.

xoxo

3 comments:

Craig H said...

Little Feat more than ever--Queen not so much. (Though Tie Your Mother Down never gets old). To Have and Have Not still makes me hot for Dolores Moran like she's sitting right there on the couch next to me--though Citizen Lame is 'nuff said about that. In the other direction, skinny girls who used to look hot to me in bathing suits now remind me of that line from Two and a Half Men, like riding a bicycle down railroad tracks--you might be able to get where you're going, but it's bound to be a bumpy ride. On the other hand, funny how everything good always leads me back to Dolores Moran... :-)

http://bp2.blogger.com/_IpFwFTEJH9A/R1a0YYxxBVI/AAAAAAAABd8/lF6vIR8Tki4/s1600-h/aahawks2.jpg

"

Uncle said...

Oh mine is much more straightforward. Once upon a time I liked to play golf. I did, really. I even watched golf on TV. WTF was wrong with me?

malevolent andrea said...

I would love to tell you all the story of the one time I played golf that did not involve minature windmills, but on reflection I realize it's not blog-appropriate. It's a fond memory though.

So no "WTF were you thinking?" from me :-)