Monday, September 15, 2008

junior

I just recently came across mention of a baby named Kalub Jr. Well, you know me. My first reaction was "Woo hoo! second generation of people who can't spell!" As well as, "Hmm. People were doing that 'just fucking make up a name' thing 25 [or however old Kalub Sr is] years ago? I thought that was an obnoxious trend of more recent vintage."

I was then going to segue into a rant about my feelings on people who named their sons "junior" anything, but I reconsidered. I can only offend so many people in one month and I'm probably just at my quota. So I'll just say I do not approve.

D has his dad's first name as his middle name, which I obviously have no problem with. It was partially to placate my ex so he'd let me name D what I wanted, but also because the two names do just sound good together. They have the right syllabic pattern. Kinda like Tampa Bay Devil Rays. If D had been a girl, or if he had had a sister, her name would have been Dana Cecelia (and no, that's not an ignorant misspelling of Cecilia; that's the Polish, because it was my beloved grandmother's name. The first person who comments that Kalub is Caleb in like Greek or something is going to get an internet bitchslap from me, so just, y'know, control yourselves.) I understand totally wanting to carry a name through a family or honoring someone by giving your baby their name. But I do not approve of giving your child your own name verbatim. Especially if it leads to the poor kid being called Junior, Little Bobby, or god forbid, BJ.

Thanks for your baby-naming cooperation!

xoxo

No comments: