Friday, September 3, 2010

the usual friday misc, hurricane edition

1.) I am watching what is probably the most depressing movie ever made. It's called "Lilya 4-Ever" and is apparently a Swedish film. (A Swedish film depressing? Nahhhh.) Anyway, it's about Lilya, a teenaged girl in the former USSR, whose mother moves to America with her gangster-looking boyfriend and leaves her daughter behind, promising to send for her, send money, etc. She is nominally in the care of her aunt, an old witch who immediately moves the girl out of the cheerful little flat she'd been living in with her mom into a nasty, filthy hovel, 'cause who's gonna pay the rent on the nice place? After a bitchy teacher mocks her "great potential", she drops out of school. She befriends a slightly younger boy who is basically living on the streets because of his crappy family life, and lets him crash in her hovel. That's as far as I've gotten, because you know reading subtitles in bed puts me to sleep. But what is going to happen to her is that she gets sold into prostitution. I know this because the reason I even heard of this movie is that it was mentioned by several people on jezebel in a discussion of sex trafficking. Anyway, I have to say my suspension of disbelief was tweaked at the thought of a mother blithely abandoning a fifteen or sixteen year old to fend for herself, but duh. The reason they make depressing films like this is because this shit really happens and people ought to think about it.

2.) Does anyone know anything about podcasts? I am fascinated that the free podcasts I download from iTunes to do my c25k to magically disappear from the iPod when I am done with them. At first I thought, oh, because you're supposed to do three days of each week of c25k, the podcasts self-destruct (haha) after you've listened to them three times. But then, one week I only listened to that week's podcast twice because my first day of that week I had an iPod problem and had to do the timing of the c25k myself, and it *still* disappeared like magic from my playlist when I'd done the third day. Like it's watching me or something. Oooo. Can someone technically smart explain to me what's going on here?

3.) So, is a tree gonna fall on my house tonight or what? I won't say I didn't have some concerns about that when they first started whipping everyone into a frenzy about it on the news, but then I heard we're only getting 40 mile per hour wind gusts which is nothing. We get those all the time. I will say, the Benevolent L left me voicemail yesterday, and when I called her back and got her voicemail and left a flippant little comment about having to worry about the whole tree-falling business, when we finally spoke, she wanted to talk about my feelings about that. Oh L, you've been my friend for almost 35 years and you still don't always get when I am joking. I think I need to carry around Irony Alert! signs, but how's that gonna help me over the phone?

4.) I need some Manny news! I better go check out what the interwebs are saying this morning.

Don't let a tree fall on you! Kisses!

Addendum: Manny's flying his personal barber to Boston, so he'll have a new look for tonight's game. Manny Hair Watch, Day 2, out.

xoxo

No comments: