Thursday, September 23, 2010

now this is also disturbing

We need to put Felix Hernandez back on the suicide watch, people, because he pitched another one run game today yet did not get a win.

But that's not what's disturbing me today. No. I was in the locker room of the gym. I had put my gym bag down on the bench so I could brush my sweaty, sweaty hair in front of the mirror. I walked back to the bench, picked it up, and pivoted to head to the door. Well. There's a scale in the locker room. I suppose that is not unusual. What is somewhat unusual is that there was a stark nekkid woman weighing herself on it and that was the sight that greeted me as I turned. I swear to god, I completely froze for a second. The clear view of a complete stranger's pubic hair will do that to you when you aren't expecting it. Srsly.

The woman stepped off the scale, picked up her towel, and rewrapped herself. Okay, so I know the whole impulse to weigh yourself only after having used the toilet and after removing every bit of clothing. But, dudes, when I do that, I do it in the privacy of my own bathroom. Does this woman not own a scale at home? Is she not capable of just, I dunno, subtracting a half pound for the towel? I have nothing against nudity and the human body in a context where it's expected***, but being suddenly presented with a stranger's genitalia when you aren't expecting it? A little unsettling!

xoxo

***If this was a locker room in which people generally walked around nekkid, it would be different. But generally at my Y even the women who change out in the open do so rather discreetly, facing their lockers. Let's just say I haven't been flashed any bush before this.

No comments: