Saturday, September 4, 2010

manny hair watch, day 3

Are you disappointed there wasn't a game yesterday, especially since no trees fell on us? (Okay, I shouldn't speak for everyone. If a tree fell on you, sorry for my insensitivity.) D reminded me that Manuel Aristides had short hair when he first started playing for the Red Sox, so there is some precedence for whatever his personal barber plans on doing to enable him to comply with his new dress code. I suppose shaving "no habla ingles" around the circumference of his head is out of the question, huh?

In other news wrap ups, I finished the world's most depressing movie. Okay, of all the bad people in the movie--the mother who abandons her, the aunt who (it turns out) steals her cute little apartment and leaves her to starve in her hovel, the boys in the 'hood who spit at her, call her a cunt, and break into her hovel to rape her, the guy who rapes, beats, and pimps her out in Sweden--the absolute pinnacle of human rottenness is the guy who sells her to the guy who pimps her out in Sweden. Why? Because he meets her in the club, drives her home when she's walking alone, all the while promising not to touch her (which he doesn't), refuses to come in and fuck her when she assumes that's what she's gonna have to do in exchange for the ride, takes her out on dates, makes her think he's falling for her, dangles this wonderful life in Sweden *with him* in front of her, THEN fucks her over. That's got to be sociopathy, right? Cruelty is cruelty, but preying on a completely vulnerable almost-still-a-child with kindness? What kind of person could do that and still sleep at night? You can't really watch this movie and not think, oh, yeah, people SUCK. Except. Except the friendship between Lilya and the boy she befriends is so sweet and pure--she buys him the only birthday present he's ever gotten, for example--(and this between two kids who apparently have never had love shown to, or modeled for, them) that there's this tiny glimmer of human goodness in there. It's still a very dark movie. But you don't need to watch it anyway, because I just told you the entire plot!

Okay, that's the updates. If you go to the beach to look at the waves, don't get swept out to sea!

xoxo

1 comment:

Uncle said...

Like an optimist I went to the beach to look at the "surf." On the way I passed a branch fallen at the end of my street. Promised myself I'd take a pic of it on the way back, just to be snarky. When I returned, someone had moved it. With one hand...it was about 4 ft long and 1 in diameter.

I'll go look for that movie when I need to be cheered up :/