Thursday, September 16, 2010

gatito mal esta enfermo

They're pretty sure she has "feline infectious anemia" which is apparently carried by tics and fleas. The vet says there's a lot of it going around our area. Her RBCs were 12, when they should be like 30, but she was acting fine until last night. The vet also says that's common--it's hard to tell that they're getting anemic till it's really bad, 'cause they're good at hiding it. If they're feeling weak, they take a nap. A napping cat causes no red flags to go up, y'know?

She also has a known heart murmur, and on the xrays today, her heart was very enlarged. But she has no fluid in her lungs, so it's not like she's got congestive heart disease. All her other organs look good. No masses, no obstructions. She's negative for feline leukemia and feline aids, thank god. In fact, all her lab work was fine except for the anemia and slightly high glucose from stress. So, it could be worse. But poor Evil Kitty. She was so stressed going to the vet, she peed all over her carrier. I've got it in the washing machine right now; I hope it survives the wash, but if it doesn't, it's not like I could use it stinking like that anyway. I also think *I* stink and should probably go change my clothes, but that may be my imagination.

In any case, she's on antibiotics and prednisone, but they couldn't give her the normal dose of prednisone because of her heart. She needs to go back in a week and see if her blood count is up. Cross your fingers she doesn't need a blood transfusion. I won't detail for you how much fun giving her her first two pills was, even in her weakened state. And we won't discuss what today's vet bill was. I'm sure you can use your imagination about those two things.

You know how I was saying what a nice day yesterday was? Well, today sucked ass.

xoxo

2 comments:

Uncle said...

Ms. Annie sends best wishes to EK, and I'll make Mr. Spike do the same. You've got mine, because I have a long bloody history of pilling cats and dealing with stressed out cats and stressed out hoomanz.

Vet diagnostics seem to have gotten better, though. My daughter's Ms. Pinot, out on the other coast, has feline hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and has already beaten the odds...because they detected it early and she *takes her medicine*. We can hold her up as a sterling example.

Vet bills...(rolls eyes).

malevolent andrea said...

Tell Spike and Annie thanks :-)