Thursday, October 21, 2010

more proof you wanna work in my office w/ bonus EK update

This was today's conversation. For context, it involved a mother who tested positive for just about every drug they can possibly test for during her pregnancy.

Andrea: I don't understand people like that!!!

E, Andrea's boss, (charitably): It's an illness.

A (starting to rant): Yeah, I know. But if you become pregnant and you wish to continue using drugs, you should just get an abortion!

E (deadpan): Maybe she's religious.

A (also deadpan): Jesus said, "Don't do drugs when you're pregnant."

E (starting to smirk): Did he?

A (starting to lose it): It's the eleventh commandment.

E (starting to lose it too): I didn't know that!

A (has lost it): You should read the bible more!

Okay, enough silliness about important social issues. Evil Kitty had her follow up at the vet today. Waiting for blood test results, but the vet was very pleased. Tongue and gums nice and pink, heart murmur sounds no worse and perhaps a bit better. Breathing is good. She's gained half a pound back and it's fat, not fluid bloat. However, we're having a bit of a problem with the meds. The pill pockets are no longer irresistible to her--she's like, "yeah, yeah, had these before," so I've been resorting to giving them to her before she eats, so she will gobble it down 'cause she's hungry. However, coincident to this, and coincident to stopping the prednisone again, she's starting barfing up what she eats. (And then, in some cases, re-eating the puke. Sigh.)

The vet thinks it's possible the Plavix could be upsetting her belleh. She might need to go on Prevacid, which the vet assured me is not uncommon in cats, go figure! Or she might go back on the Prednisone. Or I might need to figure out a way to get her to take the pills on a full stomach. Maybe a new flavor of Greenies? I will say that I fed her when we got home from the vet before I jetted out to work, so 18 hours after her last Plavix, and I didn't find puke anywhere when I got home, which is good evidence that it's eating immediately after her pills that makes her vomit. (And you know what that's meant too, right? It means I get to examine any barf that isn't re-eaten to make sure there's no upchucked pill in it. I swear to god, they don't pay me enough for this.)

But, all in all, Ms EK is doing great for someone who was rumored to be about to drop dead any second. Like I said, lab results tomorrow.

xoxo

Addendum: Dr B just called me at noon on Friday, and every single one of Evil Kitty's lab values is normal. Her RBCs are 35! Go, Evil Kitty!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad EK seems to be doing well!

Def try different flavors of Greenies. I've most certainly seen different reactions to the different flavors: they all drive the kitties I've seen into ecstasy, but different *levels* of ecstasy.

malevolent andrea said...

No lab results yet. And maybe it's Prilosec she might go on. It's a P word, haha. The ultrasound vet's office emailed again today to check on her. I'm telling you, they're worth every penny of the 400 bucks I paid to them.

Uncle said...

Can you whip up some concoction of tuna juice, salmon juice plus crushed greenies? (Can you tell I actually tried smoking banana peels back in the day?) And what about that pill gun thing?

malevolent andrea said...

She was going insane trying to get at the meat when I was making sandwiches last night, so I tried wrapping her little pill pocket up in some ham. She pushed it out of the way and ate the ham, haha. So we ended up throwing the pill down her throat. As D said, "Back to THIS again."