Monday, April 26, 2010

zen dress code

This entry will contain no mention of the following: my yard and bitching about same, my fantasy team and bitching about same, Ubaldo Jimenez and/or the Colorado Rockies, and Shawn Carter Knowles. I feel like I have been boring you all. So I'ma talk about yoga instead. That'll be scintillating!

No, seriously. There was a piece on jezebel today about yoga being intimidating these days with its trendiness and the women all dressed in lululemon and the "rock star" teachers and the $20 a class fancy-schmancy studios and etc etc. It referenced a NYT article about the backlash against this, with studios that are "donation only" and at which there are no star instructors and no judgment about what one wears to class.

Well. I told y'all I'm taking Sunday morning Kripalu yoga? It works out to $12 a class, it's held at one of the hospital's wellness centers (in a strip mall, kinda) so not fancy, and the instructor is a crunchy MT in her (I'll guess) 50s. But let's talk clothing. The first week I went I wore yoga pants, a yoga cami, and a hoodie over that. I was planning on taking my hoodie off, but when I got there I saw that a.) no one else was wearing camis or tank tops--everyone had at least short sleeves and b.) there were men in the class (I don't know why I wasn't expecting that) so I felt a little less comfortable being less covered anyway. So I kept my hoodie on. Which was fine. Being a little warmer rather than cooler is better for yoga anyway. The only problem was that my hood kept flopping over my head during the forward bends.

This week I figured I would instead wear a loose-ish short sleeved t-shirt. I have certain t-shirts fitting that description that I use for working out at home. Concert shirts, souvenir shirts, that kind of thing. You know what I'm talking about. So off I go to class in yoga pants and a Dropkick Murphys shirt. It's green (of course!) and black and shiny and has a tattoo-ish skull logo on it. What's wrong with that? The teacher says to me, and I quote, "That's quite a shirt." I just smiled at her. I did not know that punk rock t-shirts are not appropriate yoga wear. Sue me. If MCA from the Beastie Boys can be a big ol' Tibetan Buddhist and ask for his fans to meditate to help shrink his cancerous tumor, I fail to see how punk and yoga don't mix. God. Do you think if I wear my Dharma Buns shirt next week ("the one true way of making a great sandwich") I'll get the side eye for that too?

Maybe I'll try it and find out.

xoxo

5 comments:

crispix67 said...

At Jai Shanti I have seen anything from cutoff jeans and a ratty old tshirt to lululemon from head to toe, complete with matching manifesto water bottle. And nobody cares if you wear a skull tattoo tshirt, Ive seen them there too. :-)

Im somewhere in between, with my Goodwill bought 3 year old yoga pants and tops that used to fit a little tighter but have gotten a bit stretched. Only bothers me in Down Dog when my top slides up and covers my nose and I get to look at my boobs. LOL

malevolent andrea said...

I was hoping you'd weigh in :-)

crispix67 said...

Oh, and wear the Dharma Buns shirt ;-) And bring the Namaste,Bitches coffee mug. LOL

Ive only been to a couple studios with the lululemon crowd. I dont like them, they lack the accepting and open vibe that Jai Shanti has. Thats why I drive 15 miles one way to go there. :-)

Those studios seem to focus more on the hot and power yogas, which, even though I havent tried them, I dont think theyre for me.

malevolent andrea said...

::gasp:: What if I could find a "namaste, bitches" water bottle????!!??!!! Oh, the trouble I could cause :-)

Uncle said...

What you really need is a "Namaste, bitches" pint that you bring in a paper bag (sorry, born troublemaker).