Monday, April 19, 2010

i.am.discouraged.

No, not just about baseball, real and fantasy versions. No.

I am discouraged because I spent 4--count 'em--4 hours today working in the yard, filled up six of those giant paper leaf and yard waste bags, have three more piles of crap in the back that would go in more giant paper bags if I had any more, and my yard still looks like complete and total shit. Plus I broke my iPod earphones (don't ask) and smashed my left ring finger with a cement paver and if the nail on that finger turns black I wouldn't be totally surprised. I almost started crying, not from dropping a cement block on my hand, but because it is so hopeless. There are hours and hours and hours more work to do to get it acceptable. Keeping it acceptable is even harder. It's not like housework or laundry that you can do even if it's raining or at 8 or 10 pm.

I feel completely humiliated because I know all my neighbors sneer, but I am sorry. I can neither comfortably afford the team of landscapers to come weekly and/or have a sprinkler system installed like my effin yard is a golf course nor do I have the time like some of my retired (early and otherwise) neighbors to spend six hours a day every non-rainy day gardening and doing yardwork. Like in most things in life, I cannot keep up.

On the plus side, I no longer have vines climbing up the side of my house anymore and I pruned some of that fucking tree *that belongs to the fucking city* so that it is not such a hazard to innocent pedestrians. And everything is off my deck so I can put my new little table and chairs out there when they arrive. I'm sure you're all impressed.

xoxo

2 comments:

Uncle said...

Remember, when you have to pound something, pound sand.

Srsly, all the yards on this block look like shit this year because so much of the block turned to swamp. Anybody gives me a hard time, I'll hold them face down in the mud. Try blaming the water table or possibly, resort to threats.

malevolent andrea said...

What's my excuse for the last four years? ;-)