Tuesday, April 6, 2010

now i'm disturbed

I've been watching the first season of Fringe on DVD. Actually I keep meaning to blog about that. I got it because D told me it was supposed to be like the X-Files, which, if you knew me in the 90s you would know I was a huge fan of. At least until the mythology totally fell apart and David Duchovny (who, personally, I would do any time anywhere even though he's been to rehab for the quote unquote sex addiction and does, based on Californication, kinda look like hell now) left. So far the mythology on Fringe seems a little less by-the-seat-of-the-pants, so there is that, but I am often annoyed by 1.) the portrayal of mental illness on the show and 2.) the fact that (much like House! but worse, because none of the characters are MDs!) Walter, the mad scientist character, his son Peter the semi-disreputable genius, and the FBI agents all know how to do every kind of medical procedure known to man in Walter's lab. But I guess I can't be too picky about plausibility in a show that's soon about to introduce invaders from a parallel universe, hmm?

The reason I haven't blogged about that yet is that I figured that if you aren't watching too, none of my comments on the show will make any sense. So just ignore the whole preceding paragraph! Except for the part where I'd do David Duchovny, 'cause he's hot.

What I really mean to talk to you about today, what's really horrifying me, is this: on an episode I watched Sunday night, there's a scene that takes place in a strip club, and the music that the dancer was dancing to has been stuck in my head for two days now. Not the words, because I don't know them, just the melody. Because I don't know the words, I was at a loss as to how I could possibly find out what that song is. But just now, I figured, oh! I should go to the Fringe forum on TWoP. I bet someone will have mentioned it somewhere. Because those people on TWoP can get a little obsessive about their shows, y'know?

Well, whaddya know? It took me about ten or fifteen minutes to come across the comment "How cool is it that they used Lady Gaga's 'Starstruck' in the stripclub scene?" I didn't want to believe it, but I went on allmusic, played the sample of Starstruck, and yeah. It's a fucking Lady Gaga song that's been stuck in my head for two days. And now I need to buy it.

I really don't know what to say about that.

xoxo

4 comments:

Uncle said...

In a fair universe, if there is treatment for "sex addiction," there must be treatment for Lady Gaga addiction.

By the way, did you know that the German for those songs that get stuck in your head translates to "ear-worm?" You're welcome.

malevolent andrea said...

I think I've heard that term actually being used in English, but only recently, 'cause I don't think there is a real English term for it, is there? I always go with "that fucking song that's stuck in my head." Which, admittedly, is a lot more words.

:-)

malevolent andrea said...

P.S. Now that I downloaded it (god have mercy on my soul), I looked up some pertinent facts about Ms Gaga, or should I say Germanotta, and while, as detailed in this blog earlier, I knew her age and that she was younger than I'd thought, seeing her dob in print slapped me upside the head.

She's less than three weeks older than D. Her mother and I were pregnant at the same time. Her mom and I could very well be the *same age*. Do you think that poor woman wanted to see her daughter's labia all over the internet nevermind TV??? OMG.

Mr Indemnity is always calling me a prude when I go on about shit like this, but, honestly, there's a big difference between people our age that have kids and those that don't. I just wanna tell that girl to put some damn pants on. And stop infecting my brain with her obnoxiously catchy dance music.

Jean said...

Starstruck is actually one of my favorite songs on Gaga's album. It is incredibly catchy. Totally makes sense as a stripper song.

Next time, if you have friends with an iPhone, have them use the Shazam! app (in fact, it was Mr. Indemnity who introduced me to this app). It records 10 seconds of a song and can identify the song by its soundwaves. Very cool.