Tuesday, April 6, 2010

bits of evidence

I went to acupuncture today (Marcy says hi) and then I went to the chi-chi spa down the street for a pedicure. It's the first pedi I've had since January, and the first pedi I've had *there* since last August. My feet, as you can imagine, were a mess, but my sweet Russian aesthetician was thrilled to see me back. I've always referred to her as my "Russian" aesthetician based solely on her accent, but seriously, I was doubtful. Not only is her first name not one I would think of as traditionally Russian--nor is her last--but she's, y'know, sweet. Those Russian women, like that nurse at the GYN's, usually scare the crap outta me.

Well, I was apparently her last client today, and as I was sitting with my feet under the dryer, she asked one of the front desk girls if she'd like her to paint her nails before she left. So they were talking quietly while she was doing that, far enough away from me that I could only hear bits and pieces. My aesthetician said, "...and then we were in Moscow." (Aha!) The other woman must have asked her if she ever went back or saw her family that was still there or something of that nature, because she said, "Well, it was all bombed. No one lives there now." The other woman said, "Oh, well maybe you could all meet in Moscow." Bombed? I wish I paid enough attention to recent world history to figure out where she probably comes from. Chechnya? They had a war there, didn't they? Help me out, smaht readers. (OR, I could just ASK her sometime. But where's the fun in that?)

xoxo

P.S. My toes look great.

1 comment:

Uncle said...

The residents probably bombed it themselves because the Chechens were too scared to drop by and do it. I have known and worked with a bunch of Russians over the years... they scare the crap outta me too. How anyone managed to run autocracies there for 700 years is beyond me.