Friday, April 2, 2010

hippidy hoppidy

I just had a little cheeseburger for lunch as a big FU to my Catholic upbringing, yo. No, actually, I had it because I haven't eaten yet today and since I have to go to the grocery store after work to attempt to buy the meat I want for Easter dinner and don't know when I'll get supper, I thought I should have something with protein and fat in it that will stay in my belly for hours. The FU is just a bonus!

Last night I had to go to the CVS for one of the six times a month I get to pick up *someone's* prescription, and while I was there, I guilted myself into buying some Easter candy for the men. I'm not dying eggs--I didn't last year and the universe didn't implode, so--and I certainly am not going to church, and while I am going to make an Easterish meal Sunday, I felt like I ought to make some other kind of effort. The women in my office, who all have young to youngish children, have been Easter shopping all week and I was like, oh yeah, I remember when this holiday meant Stuff to Do. I feel like a slacker ignoring it completely, even though it has no big spiritual meaning for me anymore.

When I was a kid, I gotta tell you, I dreaded holy week. We had to go to church Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. We had the lily parade on Thursday. We had stations of the cross on Friday. We had the (I must admit) really cool service on Saturday night. And then Easter morning, new clothes, and the church wicked hot and crowded--SRO, with all the people who only went to Mass twice a year. And in between, my mom would be having one of her holiday cleaning frenzies, which meant she'd be forcing me to do shit I didn't want to do, and being a royal bitch besides. (Sorry, mom.) But at least in the end, there was a shitload of chocolate to be consumed.

There's some kind of message in there about how people get eating disorders. Maybe.

Happy Easter!

xoxo

P.S. Bad news however! Our lil MILF just told me she got another job that she had applied for, that pays way more, so she is leaving us. Tear!

5 comments:

Craig H said...

WHAT??? She's leaving??? This is definitely bittersweet news... Nice that she'll be getting the better paycheck she deserves, but now how are we supposed to help her meet her guy and live happily ever after if she's not there with you at work every day for big-sister-with-the-heart-of-gold-and-her-well-meaning-though-perhaps-slightly-dissolute-friends life coaching and affirmation???

malevolent andrea said...

And what happens if she gets unexpectedly knocked up? Will she remember she promised me the baby??!!??? No, seriously, I know this is a good thing for her, and it sounds like a promising job, but I'ma miss her around here.

Uncle said...

Hey, I thought people needed permission to leave the permanent cast of characters around heah??

There is hope, though. Even Possibly Irish Danny showed up again. Just make sure she understands her responsibilities, eh?

malevolent andrea said...

What I find amazing/amusing is that there are people who are going to miss her that have never even met her.

I've talked about this before, but this is one of the things I find fascinating about the internet. There are definitely people whose blogs or postings I read but who I don't know and never interact with who have become sorta like fictional characters to me. I follow their exploits and hear their histories and though I know they are actual people, it's kinda like they are just there for my entertainment. I suppose it's like reality TV, only more genuine. Mostly. Because--I don't know if you all know this, but--some people do LIE on the internet, hahaha.

Uncle said...

I'm really only 3 1/2 years old :))