Thursday, April 8, 2010

and why i love my job, part i don't know

I just had this kid in here. He's eleven. (Flirting with severe HIPAA violations), his name was Victor [hispanic lastname] and I kept wanting to think his name was Victor Martinez, which it was NOT, but which is a sign of too much baseball on the brain or something. Anyway, he looked like a little baller, bling in his ears and a big curly ponytail. But he's pre-pubertal and no one's taught him to be hard yet, so he was one of those really open kids. Charming, too, but totally open.

He was very concerned when I told him I was going to turn the lights down when we started testing, because he's afraid of the dark. I was trying to reassure him that it wasn't going to be completely dark, and he was telling me all about how he needs his door to be cracked open at night and the hall light on, and how his younger sister *doesn't* need the hall light, and how he thinks it's all because of this horror movie he watched this one time.

So, hoping to distract him, because he really wouldn't stop obsessing that it was going to be too dark no matter what I said, I asked him to tell me what the movie was about. He launches into the plot synopsis, in that detailed way kids do. And then he gets to "...and so he pulls out a luigi board..." and you have never seen anyone keep a straight face like I kept a straight face.

I'ma start using that! The next time someone asks me to predict something I couldn't possibly predict, I'm going to ask them, "What do you think, I have a luigi board?"

I have a great job.

xoxo

3 comments:

Jean said...

and by luigi, he means ouija? that's funny. :-)

Uncle said...

And here I always thought the luigi board was what Shrimp Marinara used to prepare his recipes ;)

malevolent andrea said...

I was having a pretty good day anyway, but that definitely made it :-)