Thursday, April 8, 2010

there's always good news and bad news

Glass half empty, glass half full, blah blah. Which do you want first?

Okay! Good news! My ET cash-in went through in today's paycheck. It's like Christmas in April. And now I don't have to feel guilty about stuff like having gotten my hair and nails done, and buying some new shirts. NOT THAT I SHOULD FEEL GUILTY ANYWAY, IT'S MY MONEY AND I WORK HARD FOR IT, AND I PAID DEBIT, SO THERE. Ahem. Excuse me, I was having a little cap locks Kanye moment there. All better now. Apparently a big fat check makes me exuberant. Other things do too, but right now we'll just go with the check.

Now for the sad sad bad news. My fantasy baseball players are sucking. Sucking. My reliever blew his save last night, Mr Lackey couldn't get a fucking win for me, none of them could steal a base to save their fucking lives, and other than Ryan Howard and Adam Jones, they all embarrassed themselves at the plate yesterday. I just have to have faith in Ubaldo as the future of the empire I will eventually build. Also? I have Brad Hawpe (sucking) on my team too, so I suggest you all think go Rockies! I have a bunch of Orioles and Angels too, so you can root for them as well, 'k? And if you feel bad rooting for Baltimore, just remember the Sox ain't going nowhere this year even though they "have the best pitching in baseball."

Namaste, bitches.

xoxo

5 comments:

Craig H said...

Don't forget that fantasy baseball, like other kinds of baseball, is an exercise in patience. (Remember Dustin Pedrioa's first April in the bigs?) There are also lots of promising rookies out there this year on whom to take a flyer if you're impatient, too. (I grabbed me Ian Desmond and he's already hit a dinger, though not while in my starting lineup, which is another potent source for fantasy kick-the-dog impulses).

The key, I think, is acquiring a core of over-achievers, like Ryan Howard, who can carry a team while the suck factors at the bottom of the lineup produce their pedestrian outputs. Don't sweat it if it takes you awhile to find more studs, because they appear each and every year. (Yo, Jacoby!)

You can even recycle old guys--Yo Hideki! But ya gotta put aside a certain amount of partisanship, so you're not tempted to draft guys like Big Pop-Up. (Did I just say that?)

Delmon Young is intriguing... Carlos Gomez is in a great spot in the Brewers' order, but he's a bit of a hacker, and may not get on base as much as you'd like...

But I won't tell you all the guys I'm looking at because, well, I wouldn't want to have the other guys in the league accusing you of any appearance of compromising your virtue for fantasy purposes.

malevolent andrea said...

I *do* compromise my virtue for fantasy purposes. Oh, wait, that's not what we were talking about. Never mind.

Thanks for the tips :-)

malevolent andrea said...

My Bronson Arroyo kicked ass this afternoon in the early game! Went eight innings, ERA 1.12, WHIP 0.88. But he didn't get the win, his reliever did. (Tear.) I can see the "no decision"s are gonna cause me pain and anguish.

Uncle said...

By Orioles, I assume you don't mean you've picked up Julie?

malevolent andrea said...

The day I pick up Julie is the day you all can arrange an involutary commitment, because if that doesn't define "danger to self or others" I don't know what does!