Tuesday, April 27, 2010

neurology in the news

Have you heard the latest? Some, um, expert has opined that Ben Roethlisberger's repeated concussions may have led to his "socially undesirable" behaviors.

Is that what we're calling raping women now? Socially undesirable behavior? That would seem to be perhaps the mildest possible descriptor in my view, but being as I'm a chick, not a male forensic pathologist, maybe I'm overly sensitive to these things! Maybe if I were a male forensic pathologist I'd consider sexually assaulting people as of equal weight with not showering often enough or asking inappropriate personal questions! Who knows?

Let me give you my personal professional opinion, gleaned from 25 years of working in the wonderful world of neurology. Frontal lobe head trauma does sometimes lead to unfortunate behavioral and personality changes. Anger and, especially, inability to control anger is a big one. Impulsivity is another. If you told me that Roethlisberger (sorry, this douchebag is *not* getting a "Mr" in my blog) was randomly beating the crap out of people who cut him off in traffic or making rash and unwise statements at press conferences or even pulling a Tiger Woods and screwing every big-boobed blond that comes along without consideration of the consequences, I'd say, yeah, okay, being hit in the head over and over and over again could conceivably lead to that sort of thing. Having your posse "drag" an extremely drunk young woman back to you, bringing her into a bathroom and locking the door behind you so can't be interrupted, then forcing yourself on her as she says no, uh, not so much. That's just sociopathic douchebaggery (with an element of planning that would belie impulsivity) from some entitled asshole without a shred of empathy who gets paid a lot of money to throw a fucking football and therefore thinks he is ever so much more important than you, I, or some woman in a bar.

Why, yes, I am starting with PMS week. Thanks for asking!

xoxo

1 comment:

Uncle said...

The useful thing about foreign languages is how they allow you express yourself so clearly about the Ben Roethlisbergers of the world. In Yiddish, he's a putz, and in Welsh he's a pen coc (you may fill in the blanks). I'm sure we could employ Google translator to come up with equivalents in many other languages. Maybe we can even find out that Roethlisberger means "dickhead" or "douchebag" in some obscure German dialect.

I look forward to seeing him get more concussions in the end zones of arena football; and maybe damage other bits with which he's done damage. It couldn't happen to a nicer guy.