Friday, April 23, 2010

the commonwealth n' me

A couple months or so ago I got a jury summons in the mail, requesting my service on April 26th. That seemed as good a day as any. And the summons was to a courthouse that was conveniently located but to which I had never been. I therefore saw no reason to request a change of date or venue and was prepared to send my confirmation card right back. Then I noticed that one could confirm online, an option not available the last time I was called circa 2002/2003. So I did. I also told Led Zep Girl to mark my schedule out that day. Then I didn't think a thing about it for several weeks.

Well, maybe two weeks or so ago, I realized it was coming up soon. I thought it was a little strange that I hadn't gotten anything back from them. I was hoping for one of those notices that tell you you're on standby and to call the business day before to see if you are actually needed, but even barring that, I was pretty sure that they sent you something. So every day from there on in, I'd expect correspondence from the Commonwealth in my mail, and every day I was disappointed. Finally at the beginning of this week, I went and looked at my original notice, which I had nicely tacked to my bulletin board, just like an organized person would have. Oh, look here. "You will be mailed a reminder notice about 10 days before your scheduled date." Considering it was now six days before my scheduled date and I had nada, it was a wee bit disturbing.

So then I thought, well, hmm. Maybe if you reply online, they figure you do not prefer snail mail. But I couldn't remember providing them an email address and I hadn't gotten official government email. So I logged back into the website and entering my badge # and PIN got this: A search of your badge number confirms you are no longer obligated to appear for jury duty. Reason your service is not currently required: Cancelled.

Well, thank you so much for telling me, Office of the Jury Commissioner! How efficient of you! I'm telling you, if I hadn't investigated this and just had gotten up early Monday morning, put on my nice reputable-looking clothes, and hauled myself off to district court and *then* found out it was cancelled, there might have been a big incident with foul language and yelling and takedowns by muscular cops and handcuffing, and while that possibly might have been fun, it's probably better it was prevented. Don't you think?

Anyway, I just went back on the website for the third time and printed out that screen that says they don't need me, because I'm not taking any chances with these people's competence or lack thereof.

xoxo

1 comment:

Uncle said...

The printout is a wicked smaht move, because I don't think the court system has five brain cells statewide. There was a time when I was called five times in seven years and impanelled twice. My spouse, the legal groupie, has never sat on a jury. So much for even treatment.

Personally, I think the takedown would have given you YouTube immortality :>