Sunday, November 29, 2009

today's dilemma

I had half a gallon of paint left from when I painted the living room/dining room. I decided to use it to paint my "foyer" the same color. I figured it was a small enough space that the half gallon would do it. Then I procrastinated on this little project for a few months while I did other things, productive and non-productive, detailed in this very blog.

Well, I got the urge to finally do this, and do it before Christmas. I figured yesterday would be the big day. But I had to work, and I ended up being at work longer than I planned. Still, I was home by mid-afternoon. Unfortunately it's the end of November. D'oh. This meant by the time I was done dusting and vacuuming the walls, washing the walls, wiping the walls, then letting them dry, it was dark. Painting after dark is not the best idea in the entire world. Nevertheless, I persevered.

I am not totally sure I didn't miss some spots. And I am slightly afraid to go check too closely, because I ran out of paint after one coat. I have the good new Behr paint that has the primer built in so theoretically one coat *might* be okay. But I did two when I did the lr/dr. Part of the reason I ran out of paint sooner than I thought I would is that I originally wasn't planning on doing so many walls. (The layout is weird with how the "foyer" connects with the coat closet area connects with the hallway. Finding the logical stopping point wasn't immediately apparent.)

Anyway. Here's the two schools of thought. 1.) There is next to no natural light in that foyer anyway and no one's gonna stand in there too long examining the walls. So even if it's not anywhere close to perfect and could really use another coat, I could easily say fuck it. It looks fine from where I'm sitting on the loveseat in the adjoining lr...without my glasses on. In any case it looks much better than the dirty off-white it was previously. And I could always give it another coat sometime after the holidays. It's a friggin' foyer, it's not like I had to move out a lot of furniture to paint. 2.) While the furniture *is* moved out and the mirror is off the wall and the ladder is in the hall and the woodwork is all taped up, I should just bite the bullet, buy another gallon of paint and do the second coat some time this week. Because if you're gonna do it, you might as well do it right the first time.

I need to make a decision about this before I do go pull off the blue tape. But I don't think that's going to be till tonight or tomorrow anyway.

xoxo

4 comments:

Craig H said...

Painting, like lawnmowing, is one of those subjects about which I have nothing constructive to say. (Other than "condo").

Anonymous said...

If your foyer has no natural light anyway, just do what we did and is still done in many decaying theaters: keep the lighting really low and no one will be able to tell if you missed some spots anyway or if the coloring isn't totally even.

Though I'll point out that if your foyer was a dirty off-white color, you should have just kept it and your now dirty off-white puffy jacket, since you would then have had the perfect camouflage to avoid bill collectors and the UPS guy. Karma handed you a perfect disguise and you destroyed it :-(

malevolent andrea said...

Honestly, right before I left the house today (so 12:30-12:45ish) I took a tour of all those walls I painted in as much sunlight as is gonna be in there this time of year, and it looked okay. No obvious missed spots, and no difference in color where the foyer walls meet the lr wall. So I think the blue tape's coming off tomorrow morning.

And I can highly recommend that paint with the primer in it!

(Why would I avoid the UPS guy? I love the UPS guy!)

Uncle said...

Late but it sounds OK to me. Just a thought or two for next time: acrylic paints don't qualify as toxic waste, and per unit, quarts always work out to cost more than gallons.

I gotta try that paint.