Thursday, July 31, 2008

smack my bitch up

(I just had to use that title before the month was over and we ceased and desisted with the musical nostalgia-fest. Deal.)

Okay! So, did you ever get all keyed up and prepared to fight with someone, and then you didn't have to, and damn! you've got all the adrenaline flooding through you with no outlet?

I called my dad's doctor's office on Tuesday early afternoon to get his blood pressure med refilled and to make an appointment for him, since he's way overdue and I knew they wouldn't do it unless he had something scheduled. The nice lady took all the info on his prescription, including the pharmacy phone number, made us an appointment in September, and told me it would be all taken care of. By late Tuesday afternoon when I checked CVS, they didn't have it, but I figured, okay, maybe it takes them a day or whatever. So last night, having given them way more than 24 hours, I check again, and nope. My dad says no one called him from the doctor's office saying there was any problem or anything.

So I prepare to call them this morning and start yelling if necessary***, about do they want an old man to drop dead because he doesn't have his meds, and is it *his* fault you couldn't squeeze him in for six weeks, and blah blah blah. But, of course, I'm very polite to the (other) lady who answers. She checks for me. "Oh, that was called into Walgreens yesterday." Um, no, CVS please. He hasn't used Walgreens for a year. "No problem. I'll have them send it to CVS for you today." Thanks much.

I call dad and tell him what's transpired so he'll stop worrying. And then I hang up and realize that, yeah, flooded with adrenaline. My mouth is dry and I'm suddenly starving. It must be time to go get lunch. Except, no. It's 10:30 am.

On the plus side, there's a giant zucchini sitting on my counter here at work even as we speak.

xoxo

***It's sad, but this is how I am now conditioned after my months and months of fighting with those morons at D's psychiatrist's. I just assume now that whoever I talk to at a physician's office is going to be rude, unhelpful, obstructive, and incompetent.

9 comments:

Craig H said...

I am sooo definitely putting you in charge of communications with my soon-to-be-(hopefully)-ex.

malevolent andrea said...

I'd fight her! And her lawyer too :-)

Craig H said...

Did I tell you she once willfully withheld life-saving medications from a little baby kitten? (No word yet on whether or not said feline was at the time orgasmic).

malevolent andrea said...

Now, see, I'm beginning to understand why you insist, against all the immutable laws of biology, that your precious children do not share any of her genetic material.

As for the poor, sweet, and I'm sure, adorable little kitten, I can only *hope* that it died with a smile on its tiny lil face.

Uncle said...

Not even gonna ask about the kitten, or Mr B's marital tribulations.

My PCP practice, which I can usually rely upon to get things right, has managed to fuck refills up twice this year...mind you, the principal of this practice is a personal friend (shows ya what that's worth!) And yes, I get about 24 hours without some of this stuff before I shuffle off.

Sometimes I think we should just line up the dead along the roadsides as a statement...and I'm in healthcare media and supposed to be some kind of cheerleader.

malevolent andrea said...

In a possibly hilarious (in that gotta-laugh-or-you'll-cry kinda way) turn of events, I just returned from CVS where, oh! no lisinopril! Another doctor's office screw up? Nope.

Thieves broke into the pharmacy last night, stole all the vicodin, and cut the fax and phone lines (thinking they were for the alarm), so CVS couldn't get any Rxs called in today.

So, yeah, if dad dies without his pills, just blame the junkies!

malevolent andrea said...

Or, you know, Verizon. Because shouldn't they be able to get the phones restored to a pharmacy within a day?

Uncle said...

Isn't being in the business supposed to make one philosophical? Bullllllshitttttttt.

What say we go out, mug a junky, then picket Verizon? And CVS: like they can't put someone in a car (or on their own fricken cell phone?) and get life-sustaining meds from another store? Do we have to spoon-feed these people?

(Next: see my blog)

malevolent andrea said...

I called CVS Friday at 2 pm to see whether they'd ever yet received the prescription, and they told me the phone lines had just gone back up an hour before. So that's probably 30 hours or so for Verizon to restore their service? Ridiculous.

On the other hand, yes, you'd think they'd have a back up plan in place. Especially since the girl at the pharmacy told me this is the *third* time it's happened. (I swear to god, I *do* live in a very nice neighborhood [comparatively speaking]. I think the vicodin thieves come from across town.)