Saturday, July 5, 2008

quick hit

...then it's wallpaper paste for me, mon.

There's this show on the Style network called "How Do I Look?" and it's basically one of those makeover shows where your, ahem, loved ones nominate you for public humiliation. And I guess, free clothes. I just caught the beginning of an episode where a 30-ish woman who dresses like a skate-punk by day and a goth chick by night was nominated by her friends because her look was not allowing her to "move on in life."

Fair enough, I guess. Unless you're Dita Von Teese, at some point you need to normalize the look a little to make a decent living. But, you know, the two friends who nominated this chick? Bleached blonds, flat-ironed within an inch of their lives, with horrific tans and (I'm only speculating, since there were no hand close-ups, but you *know* I'm right) ::shudder:: French manicures. And one of them was going on about how at one time the makeover-ee and she would not only buy the same shirt, but the same shirt in the same color, until she "went off track."

I had to change the channel. I'm sorry, but people who look like outtakes from Girls Gone Wild should not throw fashion stones at people who look like Gwen Stefani circa 1996 and accuse them of going off track. One look is not superior to the other, even if one is more socially acceptable than the other.

So step away from the tanning booth for a few weeks and then get back to me.

xoxo

No comments: