Monday, July 14, 2008

literary license

I don't know how we got on the subject, but Mr Indemnity was telling me how he doesn't trust yelp reviews. The example he used was that he was looking up Charlie's Kitchen's new beer garden online (they have a beer garden now! genius!) and a yelp review of Charlie's mentioned (approvingly) the sneering multi-tattooed waitresses who slam down your plate.

As soon as the words were out of his mouth, I knew what his objection to this would be, and I concurred. I have not been there as many times as Mr Indemnity, but I have been there enough to have been served by several multi-tattooed, punked-out or goth-y waitpersons, and there was no sneering going on. They have all been uniformly pleasant, welcoming and friendly, even to my non-hipster middle-aged self. So, obviously, either we have been fortunate to have only encountered the waitpersons who go to Tattoo Worship, and thus are highly in touch with their spiritual selves and their love for humanity, or the yelp reviewer was taking literary license, i.e. lying, in order to make his review seem cooler. Or something.

xoxo

5 comments:

Craig H said...

To my way of looking at it, there is no license, literary, poetic or otherwise, that would excuse lying about a beer garden. If this "yelp" thingy is aiding and abetting such, then it must be stopped.

malevolent andrea said...

I know, it's scandalous, right?

This is America. A person should be allowed to sit outside and drink beer without unfounded fears of nasty servers being instilled in them by irresponsible online reviewers. :-)

Anonymous said...

It's the same kind of hipsters who line up for an hour to get into SoundBites when there's a perfectly good diner with quick seating a block away.

Every time I've been to SoundBites the staff's been rude, I've been rushed, and the food has been just ok. But somehow being treated like they're barely tolerated pond scum, people to be tossed out asap so they can turn over the table as quickly as possible somehow makes it more "authentic? to them or something.

I like Charlie's Kitchen, and I like the perfectly nice, if heavily tattooed and goateed staff. I'm guessing the hipsters just want to see rudeness where none actually exists. Somehow it feels more homey to them.

Uncle said...

To hell with the pleasantries, or lack thereof: how many taps or brands and what's on? (Gansett glasses filled with something else don't count.)

Some of those reviewers are a mite prissy. After all, I've eaten at the Cabaret Lounge and lived to tell the tale.

malevolent andrea said...

Yes. I think the consensus must be that oh-so-many of the yelp reviewers are prissy hipster douches who ALSO LIE :-)

Charlie's has both Magners and Stella Artois lambic, so my drinking needs are well taken care of. So what else they have there, I canna tell ye.