Monday, July 21, 2008

fight the power

I forgot to mention in last night's house and home update the other piece of exciting news. I got my new Dyson one day last week, overstock.com having come through for me again with a wicked good price, $1 shipping and no sales tax. (Don't tell the Commonwealth of Massachusetts on me, 'k?) It was sitting in its box for a few days, when Saturday night at like 10:30 pm I said to D, "Let's get the new vacuum cleaner out and look at it!" I know, you wish you had my life. Don't lie.

So I got it out and assembled it, not the easiest thing since there were basically no written directions, just cute little graphics that I suppose were supposed to make sense no matter which language of the 18 different countries they sell it in you speak. Not so much, though. But I soldiered on and having it more or less looking complete, I decided to plug it in and see whether it would function.

Well, holy crap. I started to vacuum just a little piece of the entrance hallway carpet and in like 10 seconds it looked cleaner than it has for approximately the last five years. I was so entranced, I kept vacuuming. I did my stairs. I emptied the cylinder twice. I did the rest of the L-shaped hallway. I woke up my poor dad who was confused about what the noise was and, on being apprised, was still confused about why in hell I was vacuuming at 11:30 pm.

This thing was so powerful it was sucking up everything in its path. I never thought vacuuming would be so fun and diverting. Two thumbs up!

xoxo

6 comments:

Uncle said...

Want to come over to my house? ;)

malevolent andrea said...

You people may scoff, but dude! It's the funnest vacuum cleaner evah! :-)

crispix67 said...

LOLOL...I can SO relate to this. I clean houses for a living and occasionally customers request that I use their supplies and equipment. I have used 2 of these wonderfully expensive Dyson vacuums...and while they do take some time to figure out where to turn them on, how to empty them and how to use the attachments...they are unbeatable in their cleaning ability. I was like you the first time I used one...amazed and entranced.

Now if theyd just get the cost down so us mere mortals could afford them. Not that *youre* not a mere mortal...lol.

*off to browse Overstock.com to see what I can find*

malevolent andrea said...

This is the one I got:

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Dyson-DC-18-Total-Access-Vacuum-Cleaner/3142452/product.html

but it was $40 less when I ordered it! I thought $319 with no sales tax was an awesome price. That's the thing with overstock, though--if there's something on there you want, keep checking the price, because they go up and down, day to day.

Craig H said...

Geez, now, in addition to my broken down old car I've gotta start worrying about the babe magnetism factor of my vacuum cleaner???

No wonder (Hoover here) I have such troubles...

malevolent andrea said...

Oh, I think you're probably doing *just fine.* In fact, if the middle-aged divorced wimmins of Shangri-Lowell saw you bringing home a new Dyson through the neighborhood, they'd probably be actually beating down your door. And, since a man's gotta sleep some time, that might be overkill. My advice is to stick with your Hoover. :-)