Monday, May 12, 2008

vegetable puzzlement

I don't know if you ever shop at Stop & Shop, but they have their own line of organic foods which they call Nature's Promise. Now, I am not overly concerned about buying organic (particularly because I cannot afford to buy all organic), but if the organic choice is comparable in price, I'll buy it. /disclaimer

So this week I happened to buy some Nature's Promise frozen veggies for the first time and Saturday night I cooked some up for dinner. And while they were cooking, I was idly reading the fine print on my Organic Mixed Vegetables. And I come across: product of China.

Are they serious? Am I the only one who finds this disturbing? What's probably even more disturbing is that these were damn good frozen vegetables. I would definitely buy them again on taste grounds. And now I want to go look at a bag of Bird's Eye or something and see where they come from. Maybe I have been feeding my family possibly contaminated vegetables for years without knowing it. I just never thought to check.

Screw this global economy crap.

xoxo

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course, most of your vitamin and medication ingredients probably come from China, as do the brake pads on the buses you took today (if they substitute poison for glycerine, who knows what they're putting in those brake pads?).

In New Orleans many vendors were using crawfish tails from China, cause it's half the price of local crawfish (even though it's shipped halfway around the world) plus it comes pre-shelled.

No telling what got in that Asian crawfish, though, nor what got in the Vitamin C you took this morning (the entire worldwide supply of Vitamin C is now produced in China, cause it costs 1/10th of what it does anywhere else.).

And I don't feel any better about it than you do!

Though I guess if I had Walmart stock I wouldn't really care. "Free trade for all, worldwide race towards the bottom."

malevolent andrea said...

You know, I think I've come to terms with all that, like you do with things you don't like but can't change (like, it's May 12 and I wore what is basically a winter jacket today).

But my organic frozen vegetables? Is nothing sacred?

OTOH, my Nature's Promise antibiotic-free chicken that's in the oven as we speak is apparently a product of Maryland. Which, for all I know, is what they've renamed Shandong.

Uncle said...

OTOH, I've driven the San Joaquin valley in Cali and watched them haul my American fruits and veggies in *open* tandem trailers. No wonder I have a taste for diesel exhaust.

I love my local farmers market and go there every summer. Trouble is, if you carry that to the logical extreme, by this time of year your veggies are very ripe onions and wrinkled apples...or you can have scurvy if you like.

I suspect the 'Product of China' part on organic veggies is Stop & Shop's unique twist as they try to penetrate a market they don't really understand.

It's not such a bad day, though: the Sox are releasing Tavares. Can the other Julie be far behind?