Wednesday, May 7, 2008

and on the subject

...of having a food monopoly, I paid $2.09 for a bottle of VitaminWater at the convenience store at Haymarket this afternoon, purely because 1.) I was about to get on my bus and 2.) I was thirsty and 3.) I knew said bus was going to be stuck in rush hour traffic for a while and if I didn't buy a drink then and there I was going to be really thirsty by the time I got home.

But $2.09? Are they kidding me?

In other news, I was remarking last night that the Cleveland Cavaliers are the most aesthetically displeasing sports team I have ever seen. They are, to a man, just a cavalcade of bad bodyart and unfortunate hairdos, and (since they were in uniform when this came to my attention) I can only imagine their suits. Has MTV Cribs done a LeBron James episode yet? I'm imagining a black marble sunken tub with gold faucets. In the shape of peeing cherubs.

LeBron, babe, if it turns out you actually have taste, or the foresight to have hired a decorator with taste, I apologize in advance, man.

xoxo

2 comments:

Uncle said...

Things can be worse. Provisions and fuel of any kind around the Mojave Desert aren't subject to normal supply and demand, but to the fear factor: as in, how much is it worth to you NOT to run out of either gas or water halfway across 200 miles of sand and allegedly growing spiky things?

The average North Shore bus route is close, I admit, because every trip is such an adventure.

malevolent andrea said...

I think if provisions were to fail during an emergency on a North Shore commuter bus route, your typical passenger would not have any qualms about resorting to, like, looting or cannibalism.

So, if you look at it that way, my nice ice-cold and ridiculously expensive VitaminWater was totally worth it as a possible way to buy my safety in a bus riot. :-)