Sunday, April 20, 2008

"shine a light"

So, Mr Indemnity convinced me to go see this movie at the IMAX this afternoon. Okay, so I didn't need that much convincing, though I will say we both had some trepidation about a 40 foot high Keef. This led to much only-partially-facetious pre-theater discussion about whether it would be better to eat before or after, and if the experience would require any extra caffeine or ingestion of alcohol.

(For the record, we went with paninis beforehand, and split the difference on the rest: I had caffeine and sugar, Mr Indemnity had "plumb" brandy.)

Anyway, a few random thoughts on the movie--

1) Mick's face is wrecked, but seriously? I would still trade abs with him.

2) I was deeply, deeply disappointed that they PC'd up "Some Girls." If Mick effin' Jagger can't sing "black girls just want to get fucked all night", who the hell can?

3) Does Jack White always look that young? Or only when he stands next to Mick? If so, does that mean if I stand next to Keith, I'll look like an embryo?

4) I would happily go the rest of my life without hearing "Sympathy for the Devil" ever again. It's reached "Stairway to Heaven" status, where the cliche factor overwhelms any coolness the song ever had. On the other hand, I can still listen to--or better yet, watch--Mick do "Satisfaction", a song that was written if not when I was still in diapers pretty damn close to it.

That is all.

xoxo

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

2) Geez,is that so different than just about any hip hop song? (Except they might actually say "n----r girls").

Although it seemed to me that they actually covered up a couple of other uses of "fuck" where Mick's lips were moving but the sound wasn't there. I wonder if they were trying really hard to make sure they got a PG-13 rating... Though, frankly, who under the age of 18 would want to see the Rolling Stones anyway? And isn't being offensive part of the point?. Or at least it was, contrary to that one interview clip with Mick.

3) Jack White, when they shot the film, was 31. If you'd said 21 I'd have believed it. Maybe rock 'n' roll keeps you young... Though that idea seems to have skipped over Keith. And it's all gone to Mick's abs.

Although if he looks so young standing next to Mick, just how young does Jack White look next to the long grizzled Mr. Dylan (who's abs are probably non-existent... though since apparently he boxes for exercise, maybe not).

4) I was actually thinking "Satisfaction" was sounding a little rote (I think that might have been the oldest of their songs they did) while I enjoyed "Sympathy For The Devil" more! :) "Gimme Shelter" would have been great, though.

In a few of those less well-known (and less often played) songs, Keith had some great solos, while the ones he played all the time were good, but not so inspired.

So the only actual playing of "Shine A Light" was for one verse over the end credits, right?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

It just occurred to me that "plumb" brandy may be brandy made by a plumber...

Which, frankly, could explain the taste. ;)

And speaking of abs, did you see the abs on Alevtina Biktimirova, the Russian woman who was in the lead for much of the marathon? Talk about a washboard...

Uncle said...

So, you were "near" diapers when "satisfaction" came out? I was "near" graduating from high school. I have a song for ya next time you get worried about your age, heh heh, and the Stones didn't do it.