Thursday, April 17, 2008

and now for something (almost) completely different

Two strip club notes!

The other day I saw a Golden Banana truck. The Golden Banana is, for those of you uninitiated, a venerable North Shore strip club. I have tried for two days to imagine just why they would need a big giant truck like that, but to no avail. I mean, I hardly think it was filled with 459, 877 pasties and/or g-strings. But what do I know?

Secondly, I rented Gone Baby, Gone and I noticed an egregious error of fact that somehow flew right by me during the theatrical experience. Casey Affleck is being brought by his buddy the drug dealer to the home of the two really ugly cokeheads where the escaped pedophile is supposedly hiding out. On being told that they're going to Everett, Casey snarks something along the lines of, "What? No good parties in Lynn?" and HBTDD snarks back, "This is going to be even better than strip clubbin' in Lynn."

Please. Despite it being Lynn, Lynn, City of Sin, there are no strip clubs within city limits. If you wanna see chicks take their clothes off (um, for money) you must go to Revere. Do they do no fact checking at all? Does Dennis Lehane know nothing about what's on this side of the Tobin?

It's just sad.

xoxo

10 comments:

Craig H said...

I guess Dot Ave guys know more about the South Shore, and the Rhode Island resort destinations, than the nawth-uh-duh-tobin stuff. But you've got a pretty good point, that the Banana and the Surf Club and The Squire are cultural institutions of such wide reknown, that confusing their locations with Lynn would be kinda like looking for the Mona Lisa in Belgium.

malevolent andrea said...

"Mona Lisa in Belgium"...hahaha. But, yes! Exactly.

This is just anther nail in the coffin of my appreciation for Mr Lehane. I haven't ever felt quite the same about him since I read he was marrying some woman from NY who roots for the Yankees (which of course is just wrong.)

I'll stil read his books, but he's on thin ice...

:-)

Uncle said...

There are, of course, a couple of gay bars and one lesbian bar in Lynn, but I spose they do not--or should not--count as straight guy entertainment.

But Lehane, now...could he have become regrettably confused?

malevolent andrea said...

Uncle, you're back! I have to admit I was becoming a wee bit worried with the lack of blogging and blog-commenting.

I hope your absence was occasioned by a nice vacation or other pleasant activity, not illness or other unpleasant activity!

Anonymous said...

Wait, you're blaming Dennis Lehane for errors in the movie dialogue???

Unless that dialogue's straight out of the book, that error has to be lain directly at the feet of the screenwriters, who are credited as Ben Affleck and Aaron Stockard. As the latter's apparently from around Boston and the former most certainly is, they are the ones that both should have known better and should share the blame.

And since Affleck's also the director, he needs to accept double-blame, cause he should have caught it and corrected it. :)

I think you need to buy Gone, Baby, Gone and see if that error's in the book or not... and if it is, send it back to Lehane with a demand for a refund due to city slander and geographic fictionalization.

malevolent andrea said...

Oh, am I slandering him? I thought he had something to do with adapting his book for the screenplay, but I didn't actually look it up.

I'm just predisposed to thinking the worst what with the "banging a Yankees fan" thing. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Well, according to IMDB, Lehane's only responsible for the novel. And we all know IMDB has an accuracy second only to Wikipedia...

However, I skipped over the whole "banging a Yankees fan" thing. Unless he ties her up and forces her to only watch Red Sox games, he may bear far more responsibility than I first thought. ;)

Uncle said...

Yep, I'm back. You can read the fun parts in my blog. Have also been busier than a...well, fill in your metaphor ;)

As for who wrote the screen play...OK, I always wondered about Ben! But then, those Southie guys don't travel much growing up.

Uncle said...

"Unless he ties her up and forces her to only watch Red Sox games..."

And he says that like its a BAD thing!

malevolent andrea said...

Yeah, I saw your blog after I commented here. :-( I was afraid it was health-related.

And about the "tied up and forced to watch the Red Sox"? I'll have you guys know I am resisting the easy joke, because that's the kind of self-discipline I have, thankyouverymuch.