Saturday, April 26, 2008

another quickie baseball note

No, I am not here to complain, lament, or even comment about the last three games. Nor am I here to discuss how Mr Ortiz and Mr Ramirez couldn't get any runs home in the ninth inning last night, as much as it pained me. I'm not even here to excoriate one Julio Lugo, even though that would possibly/probably/definitely please Mr Barma. (I will say the day he starts getting called Jjjjoooolio in my house is fast approaching.)

What I am here to do is register a protest about just how much I hate that that team in Tampa Bay is now called the "Rays." What? Did they have a bunch of devils complaining that their former nickname was culturally insensitive? If not, what purpose does this name change serve? I mean other than aggravating me for reasons that are fairly opaque even to me.

And, I swear, last night during the game Don and Jerry called them "the Rays" approximately 10, 648 times. They didn't say "Tampa Bay" once. Okay, maybe once. Or twice. But not often. I know that's probably because they were trying to train their brains so they wouldn't spend the rest of the season slipping up and saying "Devil Rays", but it was pissing me off. (Maybe it wouldn't have pissed me off so much if my Manny hadn't struck out in the top of the ninth, but I said I wasn't going to talk about that.)

Tampa Bay, you're on notice. Change it the fuck back.

xoxo

7 comments:

Craig H said...

"Your new Delta Tau Chi nickname is...

Julie.

Julie Lugo."

Anonymous said...

You do realize that the opposing pitchers aren't actually supposed to serve up home runs to Mr. Ortiz and Mr. Ramirez, right? ;)

I've got to admit, I don't share your pain: for some strange reason they don't show every Red Sox game in New Orleans, especially not in the music clubs.

A couple theories, though. Perhaps the Ray Protection Society was angry about the Devil contingent getting all the publicity, and they insisted that the rest of the Rays get equal billing without privileging the Devils over the others.

Either that or the Rays attendance was so bad they thought that they'd try to get anti-satanist evangelicals to buy tickets by no longer advertising their soul-selling allegiance to Beelzebub.

(Let me note that Apple's built-in spelling dictionary contains the correct spelling for Beelzebub--which may go a long way towards explaining the overwhelming world-wide success of iPod sales).

malevolent andrea said...

:-) Julie it is!

Though one of my feminist principles is being twinged by the idea that the best way to insult Mr Lugo is to insinuate he throws like a gurl ;-)

malevolent andrea said...

Mr Indemnity! Did you stop by just to gloat and/or brag? I know where you are, dude. You don't need to rub it in. Though the fact that you're in my second favorite city in the whole world, N.O., is mitigated by the fact that I am in my favorite city in the whole world, Boston. So there.

Now you go out and get busy working on your sunburn, your hearing loss, your alcohol poisoning, and your gaining of 10 pounds in 5 days, or whatever else you've got planned,'k? :-)

Anonymous said...

Sunshine, not so much--the pouring thunderstorms all afternoon yesterday got me and everything I was wearing soaked to the bone... I don't think I've ever felt that wet in my life, and when the water started coming up through the tent floor I knew it was time to leave.

So no sunburn and little drinking and carousing last night, I'll have to try to make it up the rest of the next three days (though this afternoon's forecast of frequent thunderstorms might be an issue).

Then again we're about to go to Brennan's for brunch, so all may be right with the world.

malevolent andrea said...

Soaked to the bone!??!!

Jazzfest...ur doin it rong.

hahahaha

Damn atmospheric conditions!

Uncle said...

Never mind the PC...didn't there used to be this this about hurting people from Tampa Bay when they got to close to the plate? Like when they left the dugout?

Standards have slipped, along with the offense.

The trials of people who are in warm places when I am not leave me curiously unmoved...;)