Friday, April 4, 2008

it's amazing

A lot of the time I don't answer my phone. I answer it only when I recognize the caller and they're someone I really actually feel like talking to at the time. Those two occurrences coincide less than one might expect, unless of course you realize I rarely feel like talking to anyone. Then the scarcity is totally predictable.

Anyway, the only other time I answer is when I'm kind of taken by surprise. I did that just a few minutes ago. I had someone coming up to my door to deliver something just at the same moment my cell started to ring, and I answered it without looking. Well, it was someone I might just as happily have let go to voicemail, especially since I didn't call her back after she left me a message yesterday. Totally innocuous conversation, predicated on "just calling to see how you're all doing..." until the caller lets drop a remark that lets me know she's heard through the extended family/friend grapevine something I consider none of her business really.

And it's amazing. I am on the one hand mildly pissed off, but not surprised, at the gossipy bunch of busybodies involved in spreading this little bit of news--it had to go through 3 people to get to the caller, I know the chain--and on the other, I am cracking up that these people have so little else to think and talk about that this minor piece of gossip is, y'know, actually interesting to them.

My god, if they only knew the real dirt. Someone's head might actually explode.

xoxo

No comments: