Friday, April 11, 2008

the psych update

So D had to go see the new psychiatrist for the second time today, and in the on-the-good-side-of-week's-ledger, she must have had cancellations, because even though we were twenty minutes or so early, she took us right in and we were out the door for home before it was even our appointment time. And it must have been casual Friday at the clinic, because she was wearing jeans and a long sleeve T-shirt with a ruffle at the neck. Above and beyond freaking cute. She looked 15. (And, yeah, I do know it's a sign of my advanced age that now I am saying about doctors who aren't even residents "she looks like a baby!")

In other good news, D told her that now he was going to have a new therapist, and though he was feeling nervous about it, he was going to try it out. This after I didn't even nag him about it last night, just said (once!) that it was something he really needed to do. I cannot tell you how much this both makes me happy and emphasizes to me that he is in fact an adult now. A very young adult, due to the life experiences he has missed and the trauma his frontal lobes have taken from the disease, but an adult nevertheless. Every time he takes responsibility for himself and his recovery, I am heartened.

xoxo

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay on D.

Good for him. :)

And hopefully he's going to try out the new therapist because he wants to feel better, not just because it's something he's feeling obligated to do. That can be hard, but that's also the place where therapy can help best.

And could you get me the pyschiatrist's number, cause she sounds like my type.... and I'm not in a therapeutic relationship with her. Admittedly, a psychiatrist probably can't keep me in the style I wish to become accustomed to, but I'm feeling willing to loosen my standards.

(I'll admit, though, that I too get a little taken aback if I'm seeing a doctor who looks like s/he's still an undergrad. But no harm done yet!)

malevolent andrea said...

You know what's really funny? L is very slightly nonplussed that her PCP is *our* age.

I'm like, dude! people our age have been out of medical school twenty years. You want a doctor who's older than us, so you can feel like they're really an authority figure, pretty soon you're going to be down to the ones that are getting ready to retire. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hi, my previous PCP had that feeling of decades of knowledge and authority... and he did indeed retire!

Luckily they replaced him with someone no older than us--if that--who's really just as good (and a much snappier dresser). And he has more actual dialogue with me than the previous one who just spoke with the air of authority, but mostly told me (correctly most of the time) rather than carrying on a discussion. So younger can be better...

Craig H said...

I think all professional health providers should be required to be freaking cute. (Yes, you are).