Sunday, January 27, 2008

oh, yeah, Demi Moore and Mr Brooks

I forgot to blog about this, but I watched Mr Brooks last week, finally, after having it from Netflix for about 3 weeks. I don't know what to say about it. It was fairly ridiculous, especially from a psychological viewpoint, but on the whole it drew me in, and the performances were good. Well, except for Demi.

Oh, Demi. Here's another woman who is exactly my age, give or take a week. (I looked it up.) I guess she gets to be a MILF or a cougar, 'cause she's banging Ashton. And I'll give her points for having once been married to Bruce Willis, because I'm fairly sure I'd do him. Or at least one of his movie characters.

But I spent the entire time she was on screen in Mr Brooks (when I wasn't being distracted by her less-than-adequate acting skills or trying desperately to suspend my disbelief that a police detective would dress or wear her hair like that on duty) thinking, "Damn. Hot dumb young husband or not, I'd rather look like me at 45, than like her." Okay, okay, I'd really rather look like Phoebe Cates or Diane Lane, but we've already covered that, and stringy-looking, skin-stretched-too-tight-over-her-skull Demi just looks bizarre, no matter how many media outlets try to convince me she's sex-ay for a woman her/our age.

Opinions?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gotta agree with you 100% on Demi. I used to think she was pretty hot in her younger days, now I think she just looks weird... Bland, generic, and like some sort of wax figure or something. Blechh.

Before all that happened, when she actually looked her age, I thought she was more attractive than when she was young and just looked young.

If you want to see a policewoman who actually looks, acts and dresses something like an actual policewoman, check out Charlize Theron In The Valley of Elah... they had to make her look less attractive than she really does to fit the part. Too bad nobody saw that picture, which I thought was really very good.

Anonymous said...

I'll add (since I hit "publish" too quickly) that it's Tommy Lee Jones' performance that's just great in In The Valley of Elah--and it was quite rightly recognized with the film's (only) Oscar nomination.

But Charlize Theron really inhabits her part. I didn't recognize her until close to the end of the film... and the part she's playing is not particularly heroic, as well as being more of supporting than lead. But it's real acting, not just looking as pretty as possible in a detective's (K-Mart) outfit.

Craig H said...

I can't explain it, but a lot of my college buddies rode out their mid-week hangovers watching General Hospital. I specifically remember thinking that the exaggeratedly husky voice (not to mention the ridiculously big hair) was so profoundly NOT attractive, that it was inexplicable that a flat-chested mouse could have captured the imagination of the zombie couch potato set. Lets just say that time hasn't improved my opinion, though the breast comment is offered only in reference to the usual preference of zombie couch potatos, as I'm quite a bit more cosmopolitan where they're concerned--I'm for any size of 'em.

malevolent andrea said...

Oh, good. I'm glad it's not just me. The overly plastic-surgeried face is bad enough (wax figure indeed) but really, she just looks stringy. That overly thin, yet overly muscular, look does not work on a woman who is not very young.

She reminds me of beef jerky, like all juice has been sucked right out of her.

Anonymous said...

"She reminds me of beef jerky, like all juice has been sucked right out of her."

I really like that simile. I think it's a quite accurate description of the current surgically "enhanced" Demi. :)

Wonder if there's steroids or HGH involved, too?