Monday, January 14, 2008

5.)

Oh, yeah. When I went to Stop & Shop yesterday, I wanted to buy a couple sweet potatoes. They had a pile of tubers labelled "yams", a pile of tubers labelled "Russet potatoes", and then another pile of tubers labelled "sweet potatoes." And, I swear to god, the vegetables labelled yams and the vegetables labelled sweet potatoes were exactly the same.

I picked them up. I did a side-by-side comparison. I examined them extremely closely. They were identical. I was like, are they fucking with me? Seriously? I'm sorry, but I don't need head games in the produce aisle.

So I bought the ones labelled sweet potatoes, because that's what I intended to buy, goddamnit.

xoxo

7 comments:

Uncle said...

More food fights? I think they are they same...depends on where you're from.

malevolent andrea said...

Then why do those grocery sadists have to label them two different things? It makes no sense at all unless they are truly trying to make me crazier than I already am.

Bastards!

Anonymous said...

Oh, they are, apparently, completely different. They're not even the same type of plant, although in the US they're often mistakenly referred to as the same thing.

Maybe that's the problem... Saturday night's stockboy didn't know the difference either.

Here's some info, though it still doesn't really say how to tell them apart:

http://homecooking.about.com/od/howtocookvegetables/a/sweetpotatodiff.htm

Anonymous said...

Weird.

Ok, that should have been:

http://homecooking.about.com/od/howtocookvegetables/a/sweetpotatodiff.htm

Let's see if that works.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm... Apparently Blogspot won't take a long URL no matter how hard you try. Or how hard I try. Or maybe I just haven't found the right trick.

In any case, after that last slash the full word is sweetpotatodiff.htm

Craig H said...

tinyurl.com ;-)

Uncle said...

Except that in the US of A, real yams fall under the heading of exotic imports, and what your average southerner wants when they ask for yams is sweet potatoes...which is why we are all crazy and mother was right when she said to eat what's put in front of you ;)