Saturday, January 12, 2008

fascination

When I got home from work yesterday, D had Family Feud on the TV. In case you haven't ever watched television in the last thirty-five years, this is a game show in which families compete to guess the most popular answers that a random survey of people gave to a series of questions. The only actual entertainment value inherent in this show, especially since Richard Dawson is no longer drunkenly perving on the female contestants, is when someone under pressure gives a really, really stupid answer. That's usually good for a laugh or two.

Yesterday there were two brothers (I think) in their thirties (I think) going for the big money. One of their questions was "At what age is a woman the most fascinating?" Brother number one says, brightly, 23, for which he earns zero points. Brother number two comes up and answers 18. Despite the show's host choking on his laughter over that one ("Yup, yup, just graduated high school..."), brother number two earns five points. The fact that five people out of a hundred actually thought that is sort of a sad indictment of American culture in 2008. Or something. Nevertheless, the most popular answer turned out to be thirty, which is, from my POV, not as scary and depressing.

D turns to me and says, "I was thinking that!" Which, I dunno. Maybe that means all that joking around with L was prescient, and my son really does like the older women. Or maybe people like to pretend they knew the answer to game show questions when they're playing along at home. You make the call.

xoxo

1 comment:

Craig H said...

When I was 16, it was 16. When I was 18, it was 21. (Nods to HMM). By the time I was 23, everything had automagically leaped to 38. (Nods to CMM). Then, while I was evolving to actually reach 38 myself, the answer never changed. 38. (I guess CMM was a tough act to follow). In fact, well into my 40's, I think I'd have answered the question that exact same way. 38. Except now, at Valerie B's advanced age, I'm beginning to see the light. Catherine Deneuve, though I think I fell in love with her while she was 38, is still all that in her 60's. The answer, thus, has to be, "how old are you now?"