Tuesday, January 8, 2008

MA state licensing!

So, there is great rejoicing amongst my massage friends today. State licensure is finally good to go, and we can henceforth start applying for our licenses to practice from the Commonwealth, rather than each and every municipality in which we might work. This is a major deal.

Now, those of us who are already licensed to practice somewhere, anywhere, in the state, are grandfathered in, but we still must reapply. I went to the website briefly to see what the form looks like (because we all know how much I like filling out official documents, don't we?) and I was kind of surprised. Even if you already hold a license, you need two letters of recommendation. To prove you're not, y'know, a ho. (Shut up.) You also need to pay a ridiculous amount of money, but that I'm not surprised about. Not one little bit.

So I guess this is my next little project I need to start working on, so I don't leave it to the last minute and enter hyperventilation zone. Anyone want to be a character witness and swear I'm not a ho? I said, Shut up.

xoxo

P.S. Spellcheck is insisting licensure is not a word. I think they're wrong.

14 comments:

Craig H said...

So lemme get this straight... You only have to stiff two johns while convincing them to nevertheless say nice things about you in order to pursue a career in licensed prostitution? Do the regional voke techs and services acadamies know? This oughta save a lot of bad haircuts from the otherwise graduates of places like the Blaine Beauty School!

Craig H said...

And the related uncomfortable tipping questions!

malevolent andrea said...

No, no, no. The letters of recommendation are supposed to be from respected professionaltype people, who wouldn't be jo--

Oh, wait. I see the flaw in that logic :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey, I provided references for a Top Secret DoD security clearance. Does that mean I qualify? ;)

malevolent andrea said...

The fact that the DoD asks reprobates like you for references makes me fear for my safety as an American.

Just sayin'. :-)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Uncle said...

How about a reference from someone who held a real live Top Secret clearance until someone else decided he was crazy? That ought to help ;)

Licensure is a word. Trust me.

malevolent andrea said...

All I'm saying is it's a good thing I'm not really relying on any of you people for references

:-PPPPP

And, thank you! I *knew* licensure was a real word.

Anonymous said...

Talk about a reprobate: when they asked if, "I'd say he was a loyal American" I almost said "A lot more loyal than me!".

But luckily I rethought that comment before it tumbled from my lips... 'cause I don't think it would have done either of us any good!

After seeing Charlie Wilson's War, though, you better not ask any Congressmen for a character reference. ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh, my Mac spellchecker doesn't believe "archaeology" is real word either.

Never trust a computer!

Craig H said...

I think some of the confusion might be caused by the word's lexicographical proximity to licentious. ;-)

malevolent andrea said...

Do "license" and "licentious" come from the same root? Ah, more research to do today.

Anyway, I just feel compelled to notice (and remark on) the fact that using the word "ho" in my blog is apparently as effective in making you people leave comments as discussing my underwear. So now I have a new weapon in my arsenal. :-)

Anonymous said...

Well, according to the OED licensure is a perfectly good word with a perfectly good spelling, though it only dates from the 19th century. Whereas licentious dates from the 16th century.

And they are both from the same root, if I'm reading the dictionary correctly, from Latin, licentia via French, licence.

Uncle said...

Now, if you could move this forward to discussion of a ho license that included ellipses, we would really be getting somewhere.