Sunday, March 20, 2011

to sleep perchance...

You know how in dream interpretation, they always say the persons in your dreams aren't necessarily the real person? (I mean, like, it's meant to reassure you if you have a sex dream about someone really really really inappropriate and perhaps squicky.) No, the persons in your dream are either symbolic of what that person means to you OR they're just random placeholders your brain throws in.

So, say, if you have a sex dream about dear sweet old aunt Louise, who you associate with, I dunno, kindness and nurturing, maybe your subconscious is telling you that you really need nicer sex partners who will take care of you. Or maybe you were thinking about aunt Louise earlier in the day for some unrelated matter, then you had a sex dream because your libido is in full swing, and your brain throws aunt Louise in just because she's at the top of the file cabinet, so to speak. In either case, do not fret. You really do not want to commit incest with an 80 year old woman. Whew. Load off, right?

What brings this up? I woke up this morning in the midst of a (non-sex, thank you very much!) dream starring someone who I (should we use the word "hate" here? no, we'll go with) despise and dislike very strongly with almost every fiber of my being. Ha! And in this dream, this person was--instead of being their usual waste of a human life--actually somewhat...nice. Kind. Pleasant. Even in my dream, I was deeply suspicious of this, and perplexed. I believe I commented on it in the dream itself.

I might add, this is the second time in less than a month that I have dreamed about this person for no apparent reason. So now I am wondering a.) are they really them in my dream b.) if they are not, what the hell are they supposed to symbolize and c.) why can't my subconscious and/or my nervous system just give me another nice sex dream about Anthony Kiedis? Because I liked that one!

Peace!

xoxo

1 comment:

Uncle said...

Another view of dreams is that the brain is reviewing input and deciding what to keep in long term memory and what to dump.
Maybe your nice hateful person represents how the brain would like that person to be. Nice experiment, since your dream recall is so good: see if this figure disappears from your dreams and if so, how long does it take?