Saturday, March 5, 2011

have a jay-z saturday



And then let me tell you a few things. Mr Indemnity must have been bored in work yesterday, because he was forwarding me stuff like whoa, which I always appreciate. It's nice when the blog fodder comes to *you*.

There was this, about everyone's favorite coke addict. My quibble with it? The reason Chris Brown was so reviled for beating up Rihanna has little to do with her being as/more successful than him and much to do with the leaked photos of her absolutely battered face. There's an instinctive revulsion to seeing a young (and, yes, especially beautiful) girl with her face bruised and swollen and cut that "he pushed me" or "he threatened me with a knife" does not invoke. This may not be fair, but it is what it is. If there were pictures of any of Charlie's women with shocking facial injuries circulating, the public would have turned on him sooner, I'm willing to bet.

Then there was Derek Jeter comedy. By the time I got to the colostomy bag, I was literally LOLing.

I countered by sending him this, considering we'd been talking about ebooks, and his disgruntlement with how certain things he wanted to buy for his kindle were actually cheaper in paperback. But that has nothing to do with my link. My link just makes me lament that I have NO skill at self-promotion, because god knows, I've got a shitty genre novel (and a half!) that I would love to sell electronically, since apparently it's totally doable these days. Maybe I'll start writing again. (You've heard that before, haven't you? Shut up. It could happen.)

xoxo

2 comments:

Uncle said...

Writing again? I should too. From what I've seen, success doesn't require talent or even a gift for self-promotion any longer. We (ahem) with a smidge of talent should be ahead of the curve, and it's not hard to hire promotion. But can one do it without drug addiction and rehab and finding jesus (who has been lost more than a stray cat lately)? Hmm.

malevolent andrea said...

Okay, I just spent an hour reading the amazon/kindle self-publishing and I'm gonna do it! I'm gonna self-publish the novella that I wrote for (whatever that novel-writing contest they hold over Labor Day weekend is) circa 2001, because it's GOOD and I just could never get it bought because of length. "To Assume a Pleasing Shape"--Andrea's homage to Rosemary's Baby, except with hipsters, New Agers, a scorching hot bisexual manage a trois, and lots of snark. Tell the truth...you wanna read it, don't you?!???!!!

As soon as I get it retyped in proper format and figure it out, you can buy it for your kindle (or PC :-)) for (I think I'll charge) $2.99.