Monday, March 14, 2011

end of days and other trivia

Does it seem to anyone else that both the natural disasters and the man-made upheavals are coming closer and closer together in a non-ending stream of tragedy and horror? Or is it just that my kid has had CNN or MSNBC on continuously for like the past two months and thus I can't escape hearing about Mother Nature and humans fucking up other humans on a daily basis? Did everyone sleep a little more soundly back when we weren't on a 24 hour news cycle and the knowledge of what happened hundreds and thousands of miles away was more sketchy and a person could, at least somewhat, ignore cataclysms that didn't occur right outside their front door? And was that a good thing or a bad thing?

At least it puts into perspective the fact that this chicken kabob salad I'm eating sucks and that we should have ordered from somewhere else.

Despite the fact that the Mayans (2012, baby) or the fringe Christians (the Rapture, dudes) are probably right and the fact that, see above, the news is sad and depressing and the fact that I weigh four pounds more today than I did last Monday (did I mention that little trip to the Cheesecake Factory this weekend?), not to mention my sucky and disappointing lunch, I am nevertheless still in a fairly good mood because I have convinced myself spring is here. And thus I am at work, as I was on Saturday, in ballet flats without socks. My feet froze while I was waiting for my bus, but whatever. The tyranny of boots every day has been overthrown. And I am NOT wearing my down jacket again till November unless it actually snows again. Which, sweet baby Jesus, it had better not.

And any day now I will run outside (after work WHEN IT ISN'T DARK OUT YET!)

xoxo

3 comments:

Uncle said...

Go ask the Mayans about 2012. If you're lucky they'll just fall down laughing. I think the 24 hour news cycle has a lot to answer for.... Disasters that you read about in Life magazine a week after the fact don't shake you as much as "this just in." Best solution is watch anything but news.

crispix67 said...

Turn off CNN. Now. It is so easy to get sucked into- I don't have CNN on my cable so cant watch it, but this weekend I was pet sitting at a house that has 50 kazillion channels. I started out just watching for a few minutes just to catch the latest...and next thing I know its 2 hours later and Im tense and stressed and sad. Turned it off, but went back to it a couple hours later.

I remember after Sept 11th I had to stop watching it then too. Constant reminders of horrible things are not good for me. My own mind can do pretty good at that by itself. :-)

Perhaps a nice 3 Stooges marathon?

malevolent andrea said...

Luckily, I think there are some Mayans on my bus in the morning, on their way to the Home Depot parking lot! ;-) How do you say "apocalypse" in Spanish?

I'm just staying out of the living room and just occasionally asking questions as I pass through, like "Is that nuclear plant gonna blow up or what?" or making comments like "Two miles inland? That's more than where we are. I guess we'd be screwed in a tsunami." Ahem.