Friday, March 11, 2011

and the answer is...

It depends what cashier you get! I got charged two orders of bacon for six pieces this morning. Grumble, grumble.

But! I also have already had the opportunity to count my blessings today. On the bus on the way to work, a woman was having a cellphone conversation with her child. I'll try to transliterate as best as I can remember.

Harried, exasperated mother:

Just put your clothes on and go to school.

If you call me one more time, you are not going to that movie tomorrow.

Stop crying and put your jeans on. Put your jeans on.

Put your jeans on.

I don't care. Wear your jeans!

If I have to bring those back-- Just wear your jeans.

Then she got the grandmother, who the child was apparently with, on the phone. A rapid mixture of English and Spanish followed, the main point of which apparently was:

Too bad for her!

OMG, I remember those days and I am so very very happy they are over. As wonderful as having children can be, I do not miss 1.) phone calls at work or on the way to work about some crisis I'm supposed to solve when I'm not there and 2.) getting to work in the morning with my blood pressure spiked 30 points already because getting the kid out to school on time involved so much agita. Listening to this poor woman's side of that conversation flooded me with empathy and made me so very glad I will never have to deal with that again. Unless my contractor future second ex-husband comes through with the step-grandchildren, that is. At which point I'd be the one harassing the frustrated parent on the phone, I suppose. That'd be a step up, right?

xoxo

2 comments:

Uncle said...

Reminds me of the last such call I got, when my kid was a) in graduate school and b) in California. I'm afraid I lost it, saying, "I DON"T know where you can go to fix a flat: I'm 3000 miles away!" Fortunately our relationship survived that moment and I'm not crass enough to remind her of it.

"Wear your jeans." Could be a mantra.

malevolent andrea said...

hahaha

Did I tell you guys the story last year about my boss's (26 or 27 year old) son? 6am EST, he was skyping from Cambodia, holding his foot up to the webcam and saying, "Dad! Does that toe look broken to you?"

E lost it too. He was like, "I cannot deal with this. Show it to your mother. She's the one who used to be an ER nurse." hahaha