Sunday, August 16, 2009

you'll be happy to know

My son knows who Bob Dylan is. This comes up in relation to the news story in which Mr Dylan, in NJ for a concert, was wandering around the streets, idly looking at houses, and apparently looking like a suspicious (and probably homeless) person, had the cops called by the neighbors. The responding officers, in their early 20s, did not recognize him, had never heard of him on being told his name, apparently did not believe him on being informed that he was there on tour, and took him back to his hotel where the staff vouched for him as a harmless, and famous, person.

A fairly hilarious story, right? But, not believing the "these kids these days" angle, I told Mr Indemnity (who had forwarded me the link) that I was fairly sure D would know who Bob Dylan is, despite definitely not being an aficionado of Mr Dylan's oeuvre. (And neither am I, so it's not like he's heard him being played in this house.) So I tested it out.

"D! Do you know who Bob Dylan is?"

"Yeah."

"Who is he?"

"He's a singer."

"Would you know what he looks like?"

"Probably. Maybe."

See that?

xoxo

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if D would recognize a 68-year-old Bob Dylan with glasses (that apparently he desperately needs but won't wear on stage) not dressed in a performing outfit?

Of course, once he opened his mouth...

I wonder if the cops, even if they knew who Bob Dylan was, would've said "Suuuurrrrr you're Bob Dylan" and, lacking ID would still have marched him back to the hotel for proof anyway.

Uncle said...

My offspring also has an good chance of recognising Bob Dylan. What bothers me is that I might do--have done--exactly the same thing in a strange city. I wonder if I'd be taken for a suspicious character. Of course, I move fast and stay alert, which is more proof that paranoia may be a positive adaptation. And I'm only infamous.

Anonymous said...

The amazing thing is that Dylan was walking with Henry Louis Gates, Jr. but the cops didn't give HIM a second look!

malevolent andrea said...

S! Is that you? hahaha (I was waiting for someone to make that joke, so if it wasn't S, kudos and thanks to whomever :-))

Anonymous said...

Yes it was S. The writers for Letterman or Stewart probably had a field day with that item!