Wednesday, May 19, 2010

what life do you think you're living...

and other fashion news!

So, there's an article on jezebel today, poking some gentle fun at some of your better known catalogues and what your life would be like if you were actually living in them. The reader comments follow up with their own suggestions, several of which made me actually LOL. One of the ones I appreciated the most was from poster "tiredfairy" who took on the Sundance catalogue. I quote:

Sundance: Life is full of hand beaten jewelry that is raw and beautiful...just like the rugged mountains. When you're not prospecting for gold, just for fun, you're weaving hemp and going horseback riding. Before heading down to a glamorous screening of 30s films, because we all know black and white was better. Your house is made out of knotted pine you cut down yourself, but you still have a private jet to take you wherever you want to go. Also, Robert Redford is your neighbor. He brings you soup. So you win.

Do you know *why* I loved this so much? Because Sundance is my very favoritest catalogue evah. I would wear just about every piece of clothing in it and all of the jewelry, and would be quite pleased to own about 75--okay, 100--% of the furniture. The description cracks me up, because it's spot-on, and because it's so far removed from my white trash, prison-bus-taking, urban eastern Massachusetts reality. It's not like I'm ever going to live in a 3 million dollar "cabin" in the foothills of the Rockies and, frankly, horseback riding traumatized me, but goddammit, I want those people's stuff! It's kinda hilarious.

But, back to my actual, not fantasy, life. I had a whole day today void of responsibilities. No places to go, no people to see. Last night I said to myself, "Andrea? Tomorrow you could stay home and clean the house like a nice responsible person. Or you could go to the mall, because you haven't gone to the mall and just shopped by yourself for many months." Guess what I picked? Shut up. I keep telling you I need clothes for work.

First of all, because I fit into a pair of jeans I could not wear 2 weeks ago, I was in a positive mood to begin with. (If that is not proof to you all that this low carb bullshit works--10 days of it and there's already a difference in how my clothes fit--I dunno what is. Plus I'm down two more pounds since the weekend.) But positive mood or not, there are days I go shopping and I can't even find anything I want to try on, never mind buy. Today was not such a day. I spent lots o' money, but since I haven't basically spent any money in the last month, that's okay. And I actually got clothes I can wear to my job! Shock!

I bought:



these pants. Keep in mind, they go all the way down to the ankle on me, because, y'know, I'm short.



and these. Likewise, not so cropped.



and this dress.



and these shoes (but I don't have them yet...they're shipping them to me because they were out of my size.)



and this cute little blazer, but in black. It was half off!



and, finally, this shirt, but in off-white, not white-white. And NO I can't wear that to work, because it's pretty see through, but it's so frigging pretty and you know how much I love that hippie dippy boho crap and it was 40% off. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I hope you enjoyed this virtual shopping trip and appreciate how long it took me to find everything I bought online for your viewing pleasure. Because I love you guys.

xoxo

2 comments:

Craig H said...

Clothes from a catalog must be a girl thing. I can't buy before I try. HOWEVER! I'm thinking here you've got some winners and I can't wait to see them on the runway, or a commuter rail station platform near me. (Wonder how the kids did with trivia on Wednesday? I'm betting we have some catch-up to do this coming week).

malevolent andrea said...

You know the funniest thing here? I have folded lots and lots of your laundry (blog readers, stop laughing or I shall hurt you), and every single shirt you own has an "L" on the size tag. I'm kinda thinking you could be buying without the trying.

I hope trivia this week has a question about Ric Ocasek! I would laugh and laugh.