Saturday, May 8, 2010

in honor of mother's day...

I just downloaded Van Halen I (which is just "Van Halen" actually) from iTunes. I figure if I hadn't spent so much time making out and, eventually, fucking to this album on the 8-track of my future ex-husband's Dodge Duster in 1978***, we would never have fallen in love and eventually procreated. I could have ended up childless! It all makes perfect sense, especially when you're drinking Gnarly Head Old Vine Zin, which, while not from Paso Robles, is my go-to cheap wine. I cannot drink too much cheap wine, however, since I need to stay up for SNL tonight. (Jay-Z and Betty White! Holla!)

I am inordinately fond of this album, needless to say. Doesn't everyone have music they associate with falling in love for the first time? And, I'm sorry, even without all the fond memories of the summer of '78, it kicks ass. I, right now, am listening to "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love"--which is my favorite track--for the fifth time in a row. A few years ago, my good friend Mr Indemnity and I were in a Newbury Comics poking around and they had this album playing and I hadn't heard it in *so* long and I was basically head-banging and dancing in the aisles. Mr Indemnity was vaguely embarrassed****, especially since he's a big music snob and poo-poos anything that can be classified as "classic rock." But I maintain, and will till I die, that the inability to enjoy Van Halen I is a sad defect in anyone's character! (And, c'mon, if you can't give Eddie props for his amazing guitar chops, you gotta respect that he was banging Valerie for all those years! She is, and always has been, hot.)

Occasionally at trivia, the host, who is also the DJ, will play some Van Halen. Invariably (because there is *no* joke I cannot run into the ground) I will turn to Mr Barma all fake wide-eyed and say deadpan, "If you could play some Van Halen on your guitar, I would probably sleep with you!" Then I crack and start laughing, because, c'mon, I keep telling you people--it's bar trivia. Beer is involved. Mr Barma will demure that there's "play" and then there's "play like Eddie." Well, that's the quality difference between sleeping with *me* and sleeping with Valerie. No brainer!

Okay, that's all I have to say about this album right now. I should check how my baseball players are doing. Happy Mother's Day! Watch my girl Betty and my boy Jay-Z!

xoxo

***It occurs to me that some of my blog readers were not even friggin' fetuses in 1978. (Hi, J & J!) Is it disturbing to anyone else that I'm this old? No? Just me, then.

****Okay, yes, I will admit that my dancing anywhere can be construed as embarrassing. That doesn't excuse Mr Indemnity's failure to appreciate "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love." God.

No comments: