Monday, May 10, 2010

disgruntlement parade

Shall we discuss all the people, places, and things that are making me muy triste, and why?

My baseball players. Adam Jones is being taken out of the lead-off spot for Baltimore, 'cause he's not being, shall we say, very effective. Candidates for his replacement at the top of the order include--wait for it...wait for it--one Julio Lugo. Dude. If Julie is getting your job, you know your lack of hitting is making Andrea muy triste.

My body. Really, I am feeling super ugly even though I finally washed my hair. (Ha!) My dad told me the other day that I am a nice-looking woman and he's not just saying that because I'm his daughter, but we do not accept visual compliments from people who are on the borderline of legally blind. In an attempt to make myself feel better, and/or punish myself, I am as of today cutting out the carbs, which is the only way I can lose weight other than starvation (and you know how unhappy I was with the starvation when I tried it a few weeks ago). I had for lunch today what I had every day for two and a half years at one point: two cafeteria cheeseburgers with the buns thrown away. Yum. This also means no beer and no onion rings, both of which are tragic in their own right when absent. Wish me luck.

My ability to get my act together. I've been doing shit like missing buses and not getting things done even though I actually have time to do them and back-sliding on keeping the house really clean and not meditating and not exercising consistently and not forcing my dad to do stuff he should be doing because nagging and arguing with him is too exhausting and and and. I'm just tired and in one of those funks I get into where I just want someone to take care of me for a change. Wish me luck with that too. Ha!

The fact that it's all of a sudden so freaking cold. I was becoming spoiled with actually having spring this year. I know, this is Boston, WTF was I thinking?

The new shoes I am wearing that a.) look way too glittery in certain lights rather than just metallic, which is what I thought they were and b.) are giving me blisters on my Achilles tendon even though I have tights on (see above). My other flats are on their very last legs and I really thought these would work as a replacement, but no. Not for work anyway.

I think that's all I have to complain about. I will, however, add, not as a complaint but as an observation, that last Saturday when the postal service had their food drive, we were the only people on this street that put anything out. Cheap bastards.

xoxo

4 comments:

JLP said...

I will, however, add, not as a complaint but as an observation, that [...]

So little can I comment on (actually, the Boston Spring!), but here's a small compliment: you have some of the consistently best comma-placement skills of any blogger I read.

malevolent andrea said...

hahahaha

Thank you! I tend to think I overuse commas because I go by the rule of thumb "put one in wherever you'd pause when reading aloud" and that doesn't always hold grammatically. When I used to write fiction, I'd always be taking extraneous ones out in the second draft.

Uncle said...

I won't say "no, no, don't take them out." However, your narrative has a very lively and natural feel to it, so be careful about sacrificing that to appease grammatical rules.

Speaking of, if you haven't read "The Lexicographer's Dilemma," by Jack Lynch, you should.

I'm on my funk too. I think there's a planetary misalignment.

malevolent andrea said...

I have not read that, but I will go look for it on amazon!

The funk does seem like planetary misalignment. Something must be in retrograde. (I have no idea what that means ;-))