Thursday, May 6, 2010

giving freud his props

I'll direct you to this essay, and the comments thereon. It's pretty funny in its own rights, but the plethora of "OMG, I thought I was the only one!"s in the comments section I find fascinating. There's this weird denial in our culture (most cultures?) that many little kids have sexual feelings well before puberty, and if it's acknowledged it makes some people wicked uncomfortable. (We've talked about IGS in here before, right?, and how some parents are relieved and happy at that diagnosis and how others freak the hell out. They'd almost rather hear that their kid is having seizures than that she's learned how to masturbate at age 2.)

It will surprise probably none of you that your humble correspondent was one of those little kids who had a strong drive way, way before she ever knew what sex was. Despite my policy of TMI all the time, I'm not gonna discuss everything, but I will discuss a couple of things. When my friend K and I were in, I think, third grade, we would play this game where we would take turns shutting each other in my bedroom closet and not letting the person in the closet out until they begged. I found this an extremely diverting, thrilling, and tingle-making way to pass the time, but OMG, did my mother freak out when she caught us doing it. I'm not exactly sure *how* she deduced there was some kind of twisted sexual element to this little game, but I'm sure she did, based on the threats of how much trouble we were going to be in if we ever did that again. Ha!

I'm sure I've also discussed in here how my mother used to have tons of ladies' magazines around the house and how she for whatever reason never minded if I read them. I learned the majority of the sexual education I *didn't* pick up on the street from them, because I sure as hell didn't get any at home or in school. I remember being about eleven or so and reading about orgasms and having the lightbulb go on over my head. Ohhhhh, so that's what that is! Who knew?!?

D was probably in third grade or so himself when I found him sitting on the floor of my bedroom absolutely pouring over a stack of my catalogs, the Victoria's Secret ones being prominent. "I just wanted to see what's in your magazines, mom," he said in an embarrassed voice. And the difference between 1970 and 1993 is that *I* said, "Sure, D, go ahead." If I knew how much boob pron and probably fake nude pictures of Alyssa Milano this was going to lead to being downloaded onto *my* computer six years later, I might well have reconsidered!

Okay, I think that's as much as I feel comfortable talking about in a public forum. But if you're my close personal friend and you want to know more fascinating stories about, say, my confirmation and the moment at which I knew I am indeed going to hell, or what happened in first grade that was a precursor for some of the best times I've had in my adult life, or what the precursor to *that* was, you just ask me some time. Meanwhile, you just read that article and reflect on whether you were a weird child or not.

xoxo

No comments: