Friday, May 21, 2010

invasive personal questions for the win

But before we get to that? Ubaldo8, baby.

Okay! To the point! This morning while I was waiting for the bus, an old man with an indeterminate European accent at the bus stop, whom I often see early in the a.m., told me that he sees *me* all the time too, and proceeded to ask me all about my personal business. Now, I wanted to tell him that if he noticed me on his bus frequently, he should make up a little story for himself about who I am, where I am going, and what I'm gonna do when I get there, much like I do to the Possibly Irish Dannys of the world. But good manners or, possibly, lack of balls kept me from saying that I would prefer not to discuss the details of my life with a complete stranger or, to put it more briefly, "none of your business."

It reminded me of how all the advice to the shy and the socially anxious says that if you need to make small talk with people you don't know, you ought to ask them questions about their lives, because "people love to talk about themselves." I always hear that and go, uh, no. There is nothing that will make me more uncomfortable than people I don't know asking me questions about my life. I do have the idea that part of that is just because my life is so screwed up. I suppose if I had a devoted husband, 2.2 beautiful children who were just about to graduate from Ivy League universities, a book deal, a Mercedes, and a law degree, I'd be just thrilled to spill that on anyone who wanted to speak to me, and lots of people who didn't. But, no, seriously, in general my policy is that if I want you to know anything at all about me, I'll tell you. Otherwise don't go invading my privacy. If you wanna make small talk, discuss the fucking weather or baseball. We can have a nice chat about Ubaldo.

I find this particularly hard now in relation to D, of course. For instance, in work, I have a lot of families that I have seen for many many years, and they know I have a kid, and through the years it's been "Oh, how old is your son now? What school is he at?" and so forth. Innocuous and polite. But now it's, "Oh, how old is your son? What's he doing now?" And while that is, on the face of it, also innocuous and polite, these are people who are not my close personal friends*** and I don't particularly feel like explaining to them that he's disabled, that he has a form of schizophrenia. I also don't want to lie. I usually say something about how he's had some serious health problems, but that he's doing better, and count on them being sensitive enough not to press for further details. But it makes me think, you know, that's a loaded question. For every stranger or distant acquaintance whom you ask how their young adult child is doing who's gonna proudly tell you he's graduating from MIT or she's in the Peace Corps in Rwanda saving the world, there's another whose kid is in rehab or prison or the psych hospital, and your innocuous and polite question is gonna twist the knife in their heart just a little bit. I dunno. I myself now stick to vague general inquiries like "How's the family?" which satisfy politeness, can be answered in detail if the person *wants* to spill and passed off with an "oh, pretty good," if they don't.

And I never ask strangers on public transportation to explain where they are going and why. The fake lives I make up for them are, I'm sure, more interesting than the real answers anyway.

xoxo

***There are a select few parents of patients whom I do feel bonded enough with to tell them real details about D, but they are very small in number.

4 comments:

Uncle said...

This hasn't happened yet to me, but I'd bet the Blue Line is just as odd as the prison bus. I think this is the moment to trot out a fully realised domestic fantasy family, one that includes, say Ivy League children in rehab, homicidal in-laws, and maybe grandparents on the run from the Trilateral Commission. Add enough embellishment and you'll always have a seat to yourself ;-)

Craig H said...

Regarding bad advice to the socially awkward, I've always found that asking people about themselves is far more dangerous than asking them what they think. (Like, for example, about 26 year old flame-throwers from Nagua with personal catchers named Miguel). As long as you stay away from lightning-rod issues like politics, religion or Clapton vs. Page, it can be an easy way to let someone ramble while you conclude about their probable personal back-story.

malevolent andrea said...

Uncle: that's an extremely good plan other than the fact that it feels like lying to me, which is also really uncomfortable for me, even though I know I don't owe perfect strangers any honesty. Blame the Catholic guilt for that one, I guess.

Mr Barma: Yes! More than people like talking about themselves, they like talking about their opinions. Everyone's got lots and lots and lots of opinions.

Uncle said...

Ah, but with Catholic guilt, you'll always wind up sharing a seat. (From a fellow sufferer.)