Friday, February 19, 2010

this will all make perfect sense

There are two ways I could approach telling all y'all this story, because two threads need to come together to explain my behavior properly. Not excuse it, explain it. Just to get that out of the way.

So, eeny meeny miney mo, let's go with this. Every year around this time, I wake up one day and am so sick of all my winter clothes that the thought of putting any of them on one more time makes me want to spit. This usually leads to very unwise shopping trips, where beguiled by the early spring clothing in the malls and gripped with my hatred of what I am wearing, I purchase things like pastel colored sweaters (keeping in mind pastel colors almost universally make me look like I died three days ago) or button-down blouses (keeping in mind that the button-down shirt that fits both my boobs and my ribcage and shoulders properly does not exist in this particular universe). Things like that. Unwise. Well, I think yesterday was in fact the day I woke wanting to give every piece of cold weather clothing I own and wear to work to some poor homeless person who'd probably prefer a garbage bag, thnx. This is particularly exacerbated this year by the fact that I've been wearing a lot of my work clothes pretty much year round: black pants, thin cardigans over camis, thin cardigans over plain dresses, blah blah. Blah is right.

Part the second. I have this monetary quirk. I will not spend any money other than what I really really have to for a few months at a time, try to build up my checking account, take great satisfaction in seeing my balance at the end of the month being higher than at the beginning, etc. But then I'll need (or, yeah, want) to make a significant purchase--in this case, my visit from the got-junk-guys and my new picture--and it's as if the flood gates will open and I will feel like, okay, I spent some money, so let's spend some more! So, you know, I bought the jacket with my gift card, which therefore shouldn't count, but I also bought the new rug for my massage room, which was a supah wicked good deal, I thought, so also shouldn't count. But then again, I've got the electrician coming probably the first week in March. So, yeah, in a spend, not save, cycle.

And this is how it came to pass that last night at 10:30 pm I bought two new pairs of shoes from zappos for full price. The End.

xoxo

Addendum: You know you wanna see. Don't lie.
cool blue-green boots and funky massage therapist shoes

Addendum II: I ordered them last night at 10:30 pm and this afternoon the UPS man brought them to my door at 4:15. With standard shipping. Zappos has the best customer service in the world. And my "algae" boots are on my feet right now so that I might wear them to the the-ay-tuh.

3 comments:

Craig H said...

Did somebody say cami's?

malevolent andrea said...

Yeah, yeah, I know..."if you're gonna waste money, Andrea, at least it could be on underwear..."

Jean said...

I'm kind of the same way with spending. The shoes are hot.