Wednesday, February 10, 2010

hey sista go sista soul sista go sista

I can't spell the French lyric, but I remember what a scandal they were to a bunch of sixth graders. That same bunch of sixth graders thought the lyric in Bennie and the Jets was "she's got electric boobs..." Ah, puberty.

Hey, kids! It is 4:50 pm and my electrician never came by for the estimate and never called. Once again, people are refusing to take my money. The new vet's office I want to take Evil Kitty to never returned my call either. Do people not *want* business? How can you run a capitalist system like that? But I did give the upstairs hallway another coat o' paint. Without any loud music. Because I wanted to be able to hear the doorbell and/or my phone. In case the electrician remembered that I'm alive and that I would like to write him a big check. Sigh.

After dinner I shall do more things upstairs and there will be rocking out. Hand to god.

In other news, did I tell you? I'm going to the Buddhist chanting thing next Tuesday. I'm pretty excited about that. Secondly, I got two new yoga videos from amazon today, which I would totally be trying out if I didn't eff up my back last week. Should I just slather on some arnica and go for it anyway? Thirdly, did you know Jay-Z is coming to the "Banknorth" Gahhhden this summer? Anyone got a fourteen year old I can borrow? Because I don't think old white people like me are allowed in if they aren't chaperoning teenagers, and I would really like to add to Mr Carter-Knowles' fortune so he can buy some better basketball players. Or something. Lastly, speaking of Mr Carter-Knowles and that song of his that's stuck in my head, as I was telling Mr Indemnity yesterday, the video for Run This Town is very post-apocalyptic Mad Max-ish, and I would really, really like someone in academia to write a paper on how that movie, besides introducing the world to Mel Gibson, has been a seminal influence on rap videos. Actually lastly, do not feel bad for Mr Indemnity that he has to listen to me go on about this stuff. He owes me for all the many hours of relationship advice I've given him over the years. "If you're havin girl problems, I feel bad for you, son..." Ha!

Even my electrician problem has not destroyed my very good mood! Because, y'know, I'm on vacation. True fact.

xoxo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, I don't think it looks all that Road Warrior-ish to me. I rather suspect that it's more influenced by other movies that were influenced by the Road Warrior.

Some academic could prove me wrong there, but I'll point out that a few years ago I went to an academic talk and screening with Elvis Mitchell (of NPR and NYT, amongst other places) of The Warriors which he said was extremely influential to future urban action films and hip hop videos (along with Thriller, of course) and was one of the two DVDs you'd see in every rapper's collection (the second being Scarface).

The Warriors looked much cheesier than the Run This Town video, although the massed groups in urban settings is familiar. Perhaps it resembles Scarface? I've never seen it, one of those great gaps in my pop culture knowledge (along with Fight Club which I'd hoped to see this past Monday until a damn board meeting intervened).

malevolent andrea said...

Don't argue. It looks Mad Maxish to me.

It has nothing to do w/ Scarface, which I have seen. And Fight Club fucking sucks, don't waste your time. The Warriors, otoh...that movie was good enough that when I went to it in high school at the drive-in, I did *not* spend the entire film with my underwear off. That's an endorsement.

And while I was just eating lunch, I read a *passionate* argument that Run This Town is about the Illuminati. Because it mentions the Masons. hahahahaha (The actual line is "I'm in Maison, uh, Martin Margiela." I guess conspiracy theorists don't take French in high school nor are they really up on design houses.) I tell you, I died. The Illuminati. hahaha

Okay, back to work! I got more blue tape to apply.