Friday, February 12, 2010

from my brain is where I bleed

You've heard about Lindsey Vonn, the Olympic skier, and her shin injury? In an attempt to get her recovered enough to compete in all her events, they are trying a number of desperate measures. She is having manual lymph drainage, which is a type of massage that I know very little about, other than it exists and is very popular in Europe. They are slathering her leg in castor oil, which puzzles me, since I thought that was an internal, not topical, treatment. And, finally, they are also topically applying a certain type of Austrian cheese. Huh? I know cheese is in many ways a magical substance, but I was totally unaware of its physical healing properties. (Obviously, mentally it makes everything bettah.)

Dunno. I'm thinking that if you have a huge debilitating sports-injury bruise and you're looking to Alpine products to heal it, you might be better off with arnica.

xoxo

2 comments:

Uncle said...

Maybe cheese massages are why the Austrian ski team is so often gut, ja? And they get to eat the leftovers. Can you eat arnica? On purpose, that is.

malevolent andrea said...

That's a good question. Arnica isn't toxic, per se, but you don't see anyone dressing their salad with it, either.