Saturday, March 1, 2008

weather hysteria

My bedroom is at the front of the house, right over the street. (Yeah, yeah, in my next house I will not be so stupid when allocating rooms. Live and learn and still die stupid.) I can always hear when the plow trucks or sanders come up the street, and of course, they sound different, so I pretty much always have an idea of what's going on winter-weather-wise before I ever lift my head from the pillow in the morning.

This morning when I woke up ridiculously early, I was lying in bed quite a while and I didn't hear anything. I surmised it wasn't snowing the way they had predicted. After a bit, I put the TV on, again without lifting my head from the pillow. Along the bottom of the business news, they had an ongoing list of cancellations for today. And not just cancellations for places out in Worcester county or along 495, local coastal Boston and North Shore cancellations. That's odd, I thought. How come I didn't hear the plows?

I look out the window and there's blacktop on my street and a quarter inch of snow on my driveway and sidewalk and it ain't doing nothing. Obviously, all those cancellations were decided on last night in a fit of weather hysteria. Too funny.

I hope all the high school juniors whose SATs were cancelled for an inch of snow are thoroughly enjoying their extra three hours of sleep right now.

xoxo

1 comment:

Uncle said...

Want to join my Sense in TV weather movement? The motto would be "It's New England: deal." In addition to ridiculing weather fools, we can stand outside supermarkets, mocking people who "stock up" for every snowflake with cases of Fritos and Coke.

And we would never, never, say "NOR-easter."