Tuesday, March 25, 2008

misc

1.) I hear that the Red Sox won today and that I can thank Manny for that. I wouldn't know, seeing as I was hard at work in the salt mines while this was going on. So, yay! And boo. Respectively.

2.) The last time I ordered from Amazon, I bought the Nirvana MTV Unplugged DVD that recently came out after a 13 year delay. And last night, being out of Netflix and having forgotten to get the dvds from M that she was going to give me yesterday, I watched it. Three times. So, obviously, thumbs up. Best part? Paraphrased: "We can't play those two songs (Dumb and Polly) together." "Sure we can! This is a TV show. They'll just edit it differently." (And they did! if you look at the playlist for the original televised version.) And why can't they play those two songs together? "It's basically the same song." (Which, um, yeah, totally. I never noticed before, probably because listening to Polly disturbs me so much in a good/bad way, it distracts me from the melody.)

3.) I feel like I got hit by a truck today, for reasons that are totally unclear. I had a very busy, semi-stressful morning in work, didn't even have time to get anything to drink and was thus feeling dehydrated by the time lunch came around. So I ate and drank, thinking that it'd perk me up, but then I felt inexplicably worse, like all I wanted to do was nap. And since I've come home from work, all I've done is half-sit, half-lie on the loveseat with the laptop on my belly. I haven't done laundry. I didn't cook dinner. I haven't even changed out of the skirt I wore to work, which frankly was annoying me all day, static-clinging to my tights, so you'd think that would have been my first order of business. I think I'm gonna eat some veggies and some pastina or something and then psyche myself up to do a very little bit of yoga. And laundry.

4.) And in more Nirvana news, because you can never have too much, I read the other day the Converse is coming out with a bunch of different limited edition Chucks for their anniversary, and since Kurt was such a famous Chucks wearer (and Courtney probably needs money) they are doing a Cobain edition with his lyrics all over them. How douchey is it of me that I really, really want them? I wouldn't actually wear them and embarrass myself. (Barring just the right concert experience, that is.) But I'd like to own them.

xoxo

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need to load up MLB or ESPN's follow the baseball pitch-by-pitch thing on your work computers...

Then when everyone else thinks you're deeply examining brainwaves, you can really watch Manny go two for four with four RBIs.

Though sadly those little stick figures on the base paths won't give you a good representation of Manny's new, let-it-all-hang-out, extra long dread 'do.

malevolent andrea said...

Easy for you to say! What happens when I let out a little yelp of joy in the quiet room over a winning RBI? Will Manny and his fabulous hair be there to rock the baby back to sleep for me? :-)

Yea or nay on the Chucks?

Anonymous said...

Hey, I bet Manny would do a good job putting those babies back to sleep... He'd probably identify right at their level. :)

Yea on the Chucks! Even if you hardly ever wear them, you could put them in a well lit glass display case to admire, then take them out and fondle them at musically appropriate moments.

malevolent andrea said...

With no objective evidence whatsoever, I kinda really do envision Manny as the kind of guy who's good with crying babies. :-)

However, I misspoke. Manny wouldn't be rocking the kid. Latin American people tend to pat/jiggle, not rock, their babies. (That's today's lesson in cross-cultural infant care. I hope you're taking notes!)

Anonymous said...

Hey, I find that sort of cross-cultural thing really interesting.

Like the culture in Africa, mentioned in Pinker's The Language Instinct, that doesn't believe in talking to their infant children (because really, they've got nothing to say) but is obsessed with teaching them to stand upright and walk, so they spend all sorts of time propping them up on little wedges and stuff... and they're convinced that if they didn't do that the kids would never walk, but of course they'll learn how to talk with no intervention at all!

By your observation does one quieting method work any better than the other?

And I wonder what method David Ortiz, married to an Anglo woman from Wisconsin uses? (I bet it's exactly what she tells him to do!)